What’s my favorite kind of food? That’s easy. Southern. From the collard greens to the macaroni and cheese, from the ribs to the pulled pork, from the corn bread to the hush puppies … all day … every day … every way. I have such a strong love of Southern food that it’s verging on obsession. I’m always on the lookout for inspiration to add southern dishes to my repertoire.
What I’m so happy to hear is that I’m not the only one on the lookout for mouthwatering dishes, classic recipes, and inspiring chefs. Who else is with me on this southern-inspired journey? This summer, Ovation TV, America’s only arts network, will be launching Food on Ovation which will be highlighting the best and boldest in the food industry, starting with a brand new series, Southern Uncovered with the Lee Bros. Mark your calendar for Sunday, June 14 at 8:00 p.m. EST and follow James Beard Award-winning food and travel writers Matt and Ted lee as they travel the south, exposing the unique and unexpected sides of Southern cuisine and culture.
Southern food? Check. Southern chefs? Check. Southern culture? Check. What’s not to love about this show? For a sneak peak, click here.
In each episode of Southern Uncovered, Matt and Ted explore a different city in the South. Over the six-episode series, the brothers will introduce us to the food, art, and culture of Charleston, Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, Asheville, and Louisville.
My husband and I have always wanted to go to New Orleans. Now, I can live vicariously through Matt and Ted’s adventures in that city and takes notes for our tip to New Orleans next year (can we start the countdown clock now?). What city are you most looking forward to catching in the series?
In celebration of this new series, I just had to share a recipe for one of my favorite Southern dishes. I can’t start any Southern meal without popping a few hush puppies into my mouth. Alright, maybe more than a few. Just ask my husband. Hush puppies and I are a terribly mix because I usually end up inhaling them in a matter of minutes (alright, maybe seconds).
Prepare this recipe, sit down and watch Southern Uncovered, and be prepared to have a Southern adventure in the comforts of your own home.
Simple Hush Puppies Recipe
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- Combine cornmeal, all purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, oregano, and black pepper in a bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, scallions, and vegetable oil in a separate bowl.
- Combine the cornmeal and egg mixture. Cover and allow to sit in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Fill a medium saucepan with 3 inches of vegetable oil. Heat the oil to 325 degrees (use a frying/candy thermometer to measure the temperature of the water).
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil. Be sure to now overcrowd the oil.
- Flip the hush puppies only once while in the oil. Cook in the oil for approximately two minutes.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on a plate that is covered with a paper towel.
- Serve hot.
What’s your favorite Southern dish?
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Ovation TV. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.