* click here to return to the homepage *
Welcome to How To: Simplify! This is my little corner of the Internet where I love to share tips, tricks, and recipes to help people enjoy a simple living lifestyle. My name is Jen and here’s my story….
- Who am I? I’m Jen Tilley—Wife. Mother (to a three-year-old son born in December 2013, a baby girl born in December 2016, and two rescue dogs). 30-Something Old Soul. Owner of How To: Simplify. Senior Account Manager (by day for Mom It Forward Media). Public Relations Professional. Project Manager. Writer (graduated from Michigan State University with a degree in journalism and a specialization in photojournalism). Photographer (here’s my photography site). Lover of chocolate, coffee, and all things simple. For more about my professional background, please click here.
- What do I cover? Beauty, fashion, food, cleaning, decorating, entertaining, home decor (both interior and exterior), organizing, and photography.
- Why do I write on this site? I’m all about sharing tips, tricks, and recipes that help people enjoy a simple living lifestyle. This site is a creative passion of mine. I love connecting, writing, sharing, and helping.
- When did I start the site? June of 2009. Wow, it’s been ages in blogging years!
- Where can you find me? I grew up in Michigan, moved to Virginia, lived in a D.C. rowhouse, and then moved to the countryside of Maryland where I currently reside with my family. I’m on Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter too!
- How often do I publish a post? I try to publish a post at least 3-4 times a week. I also have a few contributors on hand to help with content creation and writing.
So, there you have it. That’s me in a nutshell. I also have an FAQ page where I answer all sorts of fun questions.
And, for those of you wanting more of the story…
I started this blog back in 2009 when I found myself in a new city and away from family and friends. I’m super close with my family and many of my family members were (and still are) in Michigan and I was living in D.C. (now living in Maryland). I soon found it difficult to stay in touch with them which was a growing frustration.
I’ve always loved to bake and cook, my passion is photography, I get so much joy out of writing, and I love to tell stories through my writing. So, I figured, why not combine writing, baking, cooking, staying in touch with family and friends, and taking photographs into one place? That’s when I started my blog. From 2009 – January 2015, this blog was all about food. In February 2015, I re-launched the site as a lifestyle blog that is all about a simple living lifestyle.
P.S. Check out the my eBook on ways to Simplify Your Home. It’s filled with checklists, hacks, tricks, and home solutions. It’s only $2.99 … you will love it.
I must admit, I have an insatiable appetite for baking and cooking. I absolutely love preparing sweet and savory dishes for family and friends.
My philosophy when it comes to creating dishes is — the more from scratch the better. However, I know that many of us find it difficult to create amazing and delicious dishes due to either budget, time constraints or fear of the end result. I’m here to show you that it’s possible by sharing with you tips and tricks, as well as simple recipes that require very few ingredients (many of which you probably already have in your kitchen) and only a small amount of prep and cook time. I’m all about making time spent in the kitchen simple and enjoyable!
Originally from Michigan, I moved to D.C. and eventually ended up in Maryland. I was lucky enough to marry my best friend and we share our home with our son and two rescue dogs: a boxer mix named Caster and a lab mix named Tugboat. I love to decorate, clean, and organize the home at all times so I look forward to sharing tips with you.
I fell in love with photography at a young age as the dark room started to become my second home. While studying journalism at Michigan State University, I enrolled in a photojournalism class, switched to digital photography, and traveled to the United Kingdom and the Czech Republic to study photography.
I have studied photojournalism, as well as documentary, food, portraiture, and landscape photography. Samples of my work can be viewed on my photography site, Jen Tilley Photography. Each day, I’m learning, growing, and experimenting with photography since it is a true passion of mine.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I hope you enjoy what I share and embrace a simple living lifestyle.