Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Tabasco. However, all thoughts and opinions were my own.
Rain, rain (don’t) go away … yes, the rain has moved into the area and it doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere anytime soon. For the past couple of days, the skies have been cloudy, the temperature has been crisp, and the rain has been constant.
With fall decor throughout the home and the fall-scented candle lit almost every minute of the day, the rainy weather has helped me to fully transition into the fall mood. Having the windows open every day to allow the breezy, crisp air into the home is another sign that fall is here to stay.
With dark skies and chilly temperatures, I can’t help but think of comfort foods. To me, fall is all about warmth and there’s nothing warmer than serving up a large plate or bowl filled with a comforting recipe. From macaroni and cheese to chili, there are plenty of comfort food recipes that bring us back to childhood, back to our homes when we were kids, and back to the basics.
One of my favorite comfort dishes is tomato soup paired with a grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with bacon and a tomato slices. Sitting down to a steaming bowl of soup and an ooey, gooey cheesy sandwich is the ultimate in feeling comfort and warmth.
My love of this dish as a child has carried into adulthood and, thankfully, my husband can say the same. The best is when I look at him and ask, “Do you know what I’m in the mood to eat?” When he looks at me with a questioning look (I have some pretty odd cravings), I say, “Tomato soup and grilled cheese.” His response is always, “Yes.” So, we either head up to the store or I head into the kitchen and create one of our favorite comfort recipes.
For today’s TABASCO 10 Ingredient Challenge recipe, I embraced my love of comfort foods. Instead of opening up a can and heating the contents until warm, why not make homemade tomato soup? With only a few ingredients, you can have a warm and welcoming bowl of homemade tomato soup within minutes.
Spicy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 28-ounce cans of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- TABASCO Original Red Sauce (to taste)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onions and cook until translucent and tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes (along with the juices) and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the flavors are melded. Stir occasionally.
- Season with TABASCO, salt, and black pepper (to taste).
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup mixture together. If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a regular blender to puree the soup in batches. Note: You’ll want to remove the small cap from the blender lid. If you don’t do this step, the steam from the soup will pop the lid off the blender. Return the pureed soup back to the pot and reheat.
- Serve warm with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
What’s your favorite comfort food?