With spring on its way, I’ve been on a massive asparagus kick. I bought a huge bundle of asparagus the last time I went to the store and I have been adding it to all sorts of dishes ever since. I’ve been trying to create a variety of dishes with it and it just so happened that the other day I was in the mood for a great pasta dish. I perused my refrigerator and cabinets to take inventory on what I had in stock. It turns out I had Ziti, Baby Bellas, a red onion and a lemon…the perfect ingredients for a delicious pasta dish.
Lemon Pasta with Asparagus, Mushrooms and Onions
- 1 lb Ziti noodles
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- 1 container of sliced Baby Bellas
- 7 stalks of asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Parmesan cheese
- Prepare Ziti noodles according to the directions on the box.
- While noodles are cooking, saute onions and mushrooms in extra virgin olive oil. Once the onions start to become translucent, add asparagus to pan and add a touch of salt, pepper and lemon zest. Continue sauteing for a few more minutes until asparagus reaches the desired texture (I like asparagus a little crunchy so I only saute for a few minutes).
- Toss the pasta and sauteed vegetables together, add some Parmesan cheese and serve warm.