I love experimenting with pasta because the possibilities are endless when it comes to sauces and toppings. I would have to say that pasta dishes are my favorite “go to” meals because as long as you have some noodles on hand, you can make delicious tasting pasta with just a few extra ingredients.
With spring on its way, I’ve been on a massive asparagus kick. I bought a huge bundle of asparagus the last time I went to the store and I have been adding it to all sorts of dishes ever since. I’ve been trying to create a variety of dishes with it and it just so happened that the other day I was in the mood for a great pasta dish. I perused my refrigerator and cabinets to take inventory on what I had in stock. It turns out I had Ziti, Baby Bellas, a red onion and a lemon…the perfect ingredients for a delicious pasta dish.
- 1 lb Ziti noodles
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- 1 container of sliced Baby Bellas
- 7 stalks of asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Parmesan cheese
- Prepare Ziti noodles according to the directions on the box.
- While noodles are cooking, saute onions and mushrooms in extra virgin olive oil. Once the onions start to become translucent, add asparagus to pan and add a touch of salt, pepper and lemon zest. Continue sauteing for a few more minutes until asparagus reaches the desired texture (I like asparagus a little crunchy so I only saute for a few minutes).
- Toss the pasta and sauteed vegetables together, add some Parmesan cheese and serve warm.