At the beginning of my cooking days, I was a little rough around the edges. I loved experimenting as I threw in a bit of this and a bit of that. Some recipes worked … others needed more work. I would sit down to enjoy a meal with my then-boyfriend/now-husband and take mental notes on what needed to change the next time I prepared the dish or baked treat.
Over the years, I’ve realized that there are some very basic tips that should be followed when baking and cooking. As a reminder, food doesn’t have to be complicated to taste good. All you need are a few simple ingredients and a few simple steps to create a memorable meal that you will love preparing for family and friends.
The same goes for baking and cooking. Those activities do not need to be complicated. By following directions (or making them up as you go), using the correct ingredients (or making them up as you go), and implementing a few simple steps, you’ll prepare recipes that will be enjoyable (both in preparation and in devouring).
10 Simple Kitchen Tips to Help You Cook Better
These 10 simple kitchen tips are simply additional guidance to help you out in the kitchen.
- Have a stocked pantry. Being able to rely on a fully stocked pantry makes a big difference.
- Replace your kitchen sponge often. You need to start with a clean slate. I’m super picky about sponges … just ask my husband.
- Be equipped with nesting bowls that can serve as mixing bowls and serving bowls.
- Put a cloth under your cutting board so that it doesn’t slip on the counter.
- Taste and season your food as you go (be safe with raw meats).
- Plan ahead in terms of what dishes need to be prepared at what times (e.g., main, side, dessert, etc.), especially if you are preparing a big meal.
- Speaking of meals, try to meal plan, even if it’s just two or three meals a week.
- Read the entire recipe before you start cooking (you need to make sure you know the times and the ingredients).
- Measure ingredients, especially when baking.
- Use an instant-read thermometer.
What are your favorite simple kitchen tips?