I keep hoping that when I open up my curtains in the morning I'll wake up to a beautiful snow-covered ground. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. In my opinion, if it's going to be this cold it might as well snow to add to the beauty of the holidays. I'm a Michigan girl at heart and there's just something about snow that makes this season that much more enjoyable.
To stay nice and toasty, I love spending time in my kitchen during the holidays preparing delicious dishes and tasty treats to share with family and friends. Soups, stews, chili and pasta dishes are some of my favorites to have on hand because they are so easy to prepare, are top-notch in the taste department and, if you're lucky enough, you'll have extra on hand to enjoy for lunch or dinner the following day.
The most recent creation I threw together was this Pasta with Cream Cheese and Ricotta Sauce. The mixture of pasta, cheeses and vegetables was a huge hit in my house...it's perfect for an easy weeknight meal for the family.
Pasta with Cream Cheese and Ricotta Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 lb Farfalle noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons Ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a pan and place carrots and onion into the oil. Saute for two minutes and then pour in the chicken broth. Bring chicken broth to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are softened. Add peas into the mixture right at the end of the cook time.
- Pour noodles, cream cheese, Ricotta, basil and vegetable mixture into a bowl and toss to coat the noodles. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the noodle mixture and serve warm.