With my simple-to-prepare pizza dough all ready to roll out, I perused our refrigerator looking for fresh ingredients to use for toppings. I realized that I had a ton of leftover asparagus on hand so instead of making one of my favorite pizzas (Tomato, Basil, Mozzarella), I decided to substitute basil with asparagus tips.
To spruce it up a bit and to add a little more flavor, I threw on some baby bellas and sliced red onion. The melted Mozzarella cheese and the mixture of fresh veggies was such a delicious combination. I fell in love at first bite. It also reminded me of the warm weather that is on its way!
Tomato, Asparagus, Mozzarella Pizza
- 1 fresh pizza dough (this recipe makes two pizza crusts)
- Kosher Salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 plum tomato, cut into slices
- Asparagus tips (from 5-7 stalks)
- 1/2 whole red onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- Baby Portabella mushrooms, sliced (handful)
- 3 slices fresh Mozzarella cheese, broken into large chunks
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Roll/stretch out one pizza crust and place on a greased baking sheet or greased pizza pan; sprinkle crust with salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Top crust in the following order: tomato slices, asparagus tips, red onion slices and baby bellas. Place Mozzarella chunks over the toppings.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and toppings are bubbly.
- Repeat with second crust (if you decide to make two pizzas)