It turned out, I had just enough ingredients to make brownies and, because I had a surplus of cream cheese on hand, I decided to marble them. In my opinion, adding cream cheese makes just about anything taste better. It’s so smooth and creamy and, by adding just a little sugar, egg and vanilla, it is the perfect addition to any brownie mix.
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine (melted and divided)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease 9×13 pan.
- Stir together cocoa and baking powder in a large bowl; stir in 1/3 cup butter or margarine.
- Add boiling water; stir until mixture thickens.
- Stir in sugar, eggs and remaining 1/3 cup butter or margarine.
- Add flour, vanilla and salt; blend completely.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Prepare cream cheese mix: Beat cream cheese with a mixer until smooth; add sugar, egg and vanilla and mix until blended.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over brownie batter and cut through batter with a knife to create a marble effect.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Make sure you have a glass of cold milk on hand!