Marble Brownies

Last night my husband had a mad craving for his favorite brownies. With a tiny bit of trepidation, I perused through our cupboards and refrigerator, trying to locate as many ingredients as possible to try and throw together a brownie mix. Let’s just say a trip to the grocery store is definitely in order.

It turned out, I had just enough ingredients to make brownies and, because I had a surplus of cream cheese on hand, I decided to marble them. In my opinion, adding cream cheese makes just about anything taste better. It’s so smooth and creamy and, by adding just a little sugar, egg and vanilla, it is the perfect addition to any brownie mix.

Marble Brownies

Ingredients:

Brownie Mix

• 3/4 cup cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2/3 cup butter or margarine (melted and divided)
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream Cheese Mix

• 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease 9×13 pan.
  2. Stir together cocoa and baking powder in a large bowl; stir in 1/3 cup butter or margarine.
  3. Add boiling water; stir until mixture thickens.
  4. Stir in sugar, eggs and remaining 1/3 cup butter or margarine.
  5. Add flour, vanilla and salt; blend completely.
  6. Pour into prepared pan.
  7. Prepare cream cheese mix: Beat cream cheese with a mixer until smooth; add sugar, egg and vanilla and mix until blended.
  8. Pour cream cheese mixture over brownie batter and cut through batter with a knife to create a marble effect.
  9. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
  10. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

Make sure you have a glass of cold milk on hand!

8 Comments

• Reply Jessica February 24, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Oh YUM! Those look oh, so sinful. :)

• Reply Kitchen Monki Dan February 24, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Those look lovely, I've never had marble brownies before. I agree, cream cheese does make anything better!

• Reply Alison @ Hospitality Haven February 24, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. These sound amazing!! I've bookmarked it. :)

• Reply How To: Simplify February 24, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I'm so happy to hear that all of you think they look amazing…because they are! You'll definitely have to bake these brownies. You are going to love them! The taste is just the right balance of chocolate and cream cheese…yum!

• Reply Sara March 3, 2010 at 9:15 pm

ooohhh these look so luscious, yep, I said it. They are so rich, the way a good brownie should be.

• Reply How To: Simplify March 3, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Sara: I love it! "Luscious"…that's great! They are definitely luscious! I swear, cream cheese makes just about anything better! These brownies have such a good balance to them!

• Reply Fuji Mama March 11, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Oh yes, cream cheese makes everything better! These look wonderful. Love the marbling!

• Reply Anonymous April 19, 2014 at 2:50 am

This post provides clear idea designed for the new people of blogging,
    that in ffact how to do running a blog.

my website –dj gear sale