Among the few stops that we made for errands was Home Depot. During our trip to the store my husband had to literally drag me away from the berry aisle. What a tease! I can’t wait until this darn snow melts…we still have 2-3 feet of snow in our front yard and we live in DC! This Spring we plan on planting strawberries, blueberries and tomatoes. I would love to plant more fruits and veggies but we have limited potting space due to the fact that we live in a rowhouse.
Overall, we had a very enjoyable, relaxing yet productive weekend complete with great times and good wine (of course).
Right now, you’re probably thinking, “But Jen, you didn’t mention anything about cooking or baking? Were you feeling well?” Don’t worry…I definitely did my fair share of both. We enjoyed delicious food and tasty treats, especially the lemon bars that I baked. I had some lemons in my refrigerator leftover from another recipe that I didn’t get around to baking. I figured, when life gives you lemons…you make lemon bars. And maybe a little lemonade to wash them down. It’s that simple.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9×13 pan with aluminum foil (covering sides as well) and lightly grease.
- Stir together flour (2 cups) and powdered sugar (1/2 cup). Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Press mixture into bottom of lined pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it turns to a light, golden brown color.
- Whisk eggs until smooth; add in sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and whisk until smooth.
- Stir together baking powder and flour (1/4 cup); whisk into egg mixture.
- Pour mixture over freshly baked crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until set. Allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool for another 30 minutes on wire rack. Only cut into squares if completely cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
…and be sure to stop by my guest post today on The Confident Mom!
Kitchen Monki Dan says
I love lemon bars! Such a refreshing kind of dessert :)
I love anything citrus, but lemon bars are a classic. Yours look fabulous!
How To: Simplify says
Kitchen Monki Dan: I'm right there with you! I love everything from the crust to the ooey, gooey filling! They are so refreshing and are a great way to end a meal!
Maria: I'm so happy to hear that you think they look fabulous…because they are so yummy! These will definitely cure any citrus-filled craving!