Winter days can start to feel like hibernation after a while. With the temps reaching chilly lows, it can be easy to bundle up in a blanket, turn on a movie, and enjoy the coziness of your home and family. Although that sounds nice, winter days can also create a bit of cabin fever.
Spending each and every day inside your warm and cozy home can definitely be fun but it’s also important to get outside and enjoy some fresh air. So, strap on your boots, scarf, and hat, as well as bundle up the kiddos. Head out and enjoy the great outdoors or indoors.
I recently did just that a few days ago. Since I’m on a monthlong work sabbatical, I found myself spending a lot of time inside during the winter. It’s chilly outside and I don’t want my two-year-old spending too much time in the cold temps. But, I was getting antsy. So, one morning, we hopped in the car and headed to D.C.
During our visit to the city, we went to the Natural History museum, walked around the National Mall, watched ice skaters on the ice rink, and met up with my husband for lunch during his lunch break. After a few hours in the city, we headed home due to naptime. Even though the staycation lasted a few hours, it was the perfect escape filled with memories.
A few days later, we stopped by the local train museum to check out the largest toy train display I’ve ever seen. I’ve always been curious about the building and am so happy we decided to check out the place. Our son had so much fun pushing the train buttons and watching all of the trains go in and out of the tunnels.
Simply put … you don’t have to go on a big vacation to escape the winter blues. Get out of the house and enjoy your local stops and shops to help you enjoy a fun winter staycation.
25 Winter Staycation Activities
Here are 25 winter staycation activities to help keep you entertained during the chilly winter days:
- Go to a local museum.
- Visit a local ski resort.
- Plan a spa day.
- Go brewpub hopping.
- Go wine tasting and your local vineyard.
- Go to your local library and find new books.
- Go antique shopping.
- Plan a day trip to a local major city.
- Go to a farmers’ market.
- Visit your local ice rink and go skating.
- Go to a local sporting event.
- Find indoor fun like bowling.
- Practice your golf shot at your local golf range.
- Go on a winter hike.
- Head to your local sled hill.
- Jump into your local indoor community pool.
- Have fun during indoor rock climbing.
- Play indoor mini golf.
- Watch a movie at the theater.
- Go snowshoeing.
- Have the family volunteer at a local shelter.
- Enjoy food at a new restaurant.
- Go on a photo walk at your local park.
- Go cross country skiing.
- Stop by the aquarium.
What’s your favorite winter staycation idea?