Living in a different state from most of our family members and friends, we love it when people visit. Knowing how it can be staying at another person’s home, we always try to make our home warm and welcoming. I firmly believe in the statement “make yourself at home” since I want our house guests to feel as comfortable as possible.
Preparing Your Home for House Guests
House Guest Checklist
Before house guests arrive, make sure to do the following so that you’re making their stay comfy and cozy.
- Give the house guest(s) space. Either give the guest(s) a spare bedroom in your home or create a space using an air mattress with lots of comfy bedding.
- Clear out the closet. Some people love to unpack their clothes when they arrive at their destination. Some house guests are in town for a special gathering and might have clothes that can get wrinkly. Set aside some closet space so that your house guests can hang clothing.
- Make sure you have plenty of towels and washcloths. I always love to make sure that these items are easily accessible and that guests know where they can find them.
- Clean the sheets. There’s nothing like crawling into clean sheets after a fun day of visiting.
- Provide pillows and blankets. Some people like to cuddle up with a bunch of pillows. Others prefer to cuddle up with blankets. Having plenty on hand will give your guest a comfortable night’s sleep.
- Place fresh flowers in your home. I love to put fresh flowers in the guest bathroom and guest bedroom to add a bit of freshness to our home.
- Share the WiFi password. You can either write down the password or print out the password and keep it in a frame in the guest bedroom.
- Place books and magazines in the guest bedroom. A little bit of reading material will help entertain the guests during morning and downtime.
- Go grocery shopping. I love having a fully stocked refrigerator and pantry prior to a guest’s arrival. Be sure to touch base with your guest before he/she arrives so that you can pick up favorite coffee creamer, drink, and snack options.
- Clean your home. I always give our house a thorough cleaning before a guest arrives.
- Prepare for children. Traveling with a child can be stressful. Make sure that you keep the house guest’s kiddo(s) in mind when preparing your home.
- Go continental. I’m all about the continental breakfast. I love setting out breakfast and beverage options every morning.
- Offer toiletries. Make sure that there’s shampoo, conditioner, and body wash in the guest’s shower. It’s nice to have extra razors, toothbrushes, etc. on hand as well. Keep tissues and extra toilet paper in the bathroom too.
- Plan outings. The last thing you want is to be bored during a stay. Make sure you plan some activities, dinners, etc. during your guest’s stay to keep everyone happy and having fun.
What items are on your house guest prep checklist?
Photo by StockSnap.io.
Leave a Reply