Tortellini, Spinach, and Bean SoupSaturday, October 26, 2013
As our "countdown to baby" clock ticks down each day, my anticipation increases. As baby Nugget's kicks and movements get bigger each day, my excitement grows. As the thought of being a mom begins to sink in each day, my happiness heightens. It seems like just yesterday we were announcing the pregnancy. And now, with a little under two months to go, I cannot believe that soon we will be able to meet our long-awaited dream come true.
The past month has been filled with getting everything ready for baby Nugget's arrival. The nursery was put together, the diapers were bought, and the closet was filled. Today, I put the finishing touches on the nursery by adding an area rug and ladder table to be placed next to the rocking chair. All of the furniture is in place. All of the books are on display. All of the stuffed animals are awaiting hugs. Everything is in place and ready for the baby's arrival. I can't help but walk by the nursery, take a peak inside, and smile ... at least five times a day.
The baby class has been scheduled, the pediatrician has been researched, and the birth plan has been created. My husband and I have had conversation after conversation about plans, products, names, and decisions. We've read baby and parenting books, researched online, and talked with family members and friends.
As each day passes, we're feeling more and more knowledgeable and confident. Even though we know that we cannot be fully prepared for the baby or how this baby will change our lives, I feel like the appropriate steps have been taken to help us ease into the transition.
We know that this baby will be a life-changer, especially since the doctor described the baby as "defiant." When I first heard that word, I wondered, "What have we gotten ourselves into?" This baby has already made us laugh, made me cry, and brought so much joy into our lives. Our anticipation to meet our baby, take in all of the features, and get to know the personality increases with each and every day.
As I sit here and write this, baby Nugget is moving all around as if to say, "Mom, I'm excited to meet you too." We're going to have quite the cute character on our hands in just a few short months ... and I cannot wait.
*I'm 31 weeks in the photos throughout this post.
Tortellini, Spinach, and Black Bean Soup
- 32 ounces of chicken stock
- 1 15-ounce can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tablespoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1-2 dashes of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 9-ounce package of Buitoni Sweet Italian Sausage Tortellini
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- Pour the chicken stock and the entire can of diced tomatoes into a large pot. Add the black beans, basil, cumin, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and cook for 8-10 minutes (according to the package instructions).
- Add the fresh spinach into the pot and cook for an additional minute.
- Season with salt and pepper (to taste)
- Serve immediately.
What's your favorite type of soup?Disclaimer: This post was not sponsored by Buitoni. I just really like the product.