Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Wonder bread. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
When we moved into our home a few years ago, we hit the jackpot when it came to neighbors. Over the years, we’ve grown so close to the neighbors who live behind us that we now have a gate between our two houses so that we can easily spend time together and have our kids play. During the summertime, we love watching the kids swim in the pool, run up and down the backyards, catch fireflies, and make s’mores. In other words, they are living the dream when it comes to summertime fun and we couldn’t be happier to give our kiddos summers that will be full of fun memories.
Over the past few months, the little girl who lives behind us has developed quite the little crush on my husband. She loves to chat with him and ask him all sorts of questions. From the latest happenings with the weather to what he does for a living, she is so curious and wants to know everything. I love that a child’s curiosity is endless and knows no bounds. The fact that he is a police officer adds all sorts of questions to their dialogue that I love to hear her ask and have him answer.
I can’t help but think of my husband when he was younger. As a child and still to this day, my husband looked up to his dad who was a police officer and his grandparents who were also police officers. They were and still are his heroes. From their passion for the police life to the examples they provided to him, his love and respect for his heroes are with him each and every day.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people. — Maya Angelou
I always find the question “who is your hero?” to be an interesting one. From parents to grandparents, aunts to uncles, family members to friends … not only do I love to hear the answer, but I also enjoy listening to the reasoning behind why that person is a hero in someone’s life.
Speaking of summertime and heroes, I feel like summer is synonymous with honoring and celebrating the U.S. and its heroes, from Military Appreciation Month in May to the Fourth of July—with grilling and outdoor entertaining often at the center of how we express gratitude. Having family and friends who have served in the military, I can’t help but be grateful and thankful for all of the heroes who have served, who are currently serving, and who will serve in the future.
This season, the classic American bread brand, Wonder, has partnered with the United Services Organization (USO), to honor the selfless service of military men and women with their “Camo for the Cause” campaign. While the retro packaging, featuring the colorful balloons has become a hallmark, this summer look for exclusive Wonder and USO “Camo for the Cause” co-branded hamburger and hot dog buns. If you’re wanting to enjoy the taste and quality you remember from childhood, then be sure to pick up a few packages of Wonder bread donning stars, stripes and camo (available at your local grocer now through July) for your next summertime BBQ.
When I learned about Wonder bread’s “Camo for the Cause” campaign in partnership with the USO, I couldn’t wait to buy a few packages of the camo packaging and create a simple yet flavorful recipe that is perfect for a summertime BBQ. Next up? Recipes. What was I going to create that would be a delicious way to celebrate heroes? My mind immediately went to grilled hot dogs. My husband and son cannot get enough of hot dogs so I figured this recipe was a delicious way to celebrate the military heroes (and our household hero) by combining the Wonder bread USO hot dog buns and a creative recipe for grilled hot dogs.
The Best Recipe for Grilled Hot Dogs
What’s your favorite recipe for grilled hot dogs? Have you ever tried adding barbeque sauce to your grilled hot dogs? When I was considering the perfect summertime recipe, I kept thinking about using barbeque sauce. How was I going to make it work on top of grilled hot dogs.
Why, hello there bacon.
Yes, after caramelizing onions, then making bacon, and tossing the two together in bacon grease, I knew I was on my way to a winning recipe. From the spicy mustard sauce to the melted cheese, the grilled hot dogs to the crispy bacon, this recipe for Grilled Hot Dogs with Bacon, Caramelized Onions, and Spicy Mustard Sauce will be your new go-to recipe during your next summertime BBQ.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 white onions, sliced
- 6 strips of bacon
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 Wonder bread hot dog buns
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 BBQ sauce
- Preheat the grill and warm to 400 degrees.
- Add the butter to a saute pan and turn the stove burner to medium-high heat. Melt the butter.
- Place the sliced onions in the butter and saute for 20 minutes stirring frequently or until onions are caramelized.
- Remove the onions from the pan and place into a bowl.
- Cut the strips of bacon into smaller pieces and place into the pan that cooked the onions. Use the oil from the onions to cook the bacon until thoroughly cooked.
- Add the onions back into the pan with the bacon and toss to mix. Place the mixture into a bowl.
- Place the hot dogs on the grill and cook until warm and slightly charred.
- Add the hot dog buns to the grill and grill them until brown.
- Mix the mayonnaise and mustard together until combined.
- Prepare the hot dogs: Spread the spicy mustard sauce inside the grilled hot dog buns. Place the grilled hot dog onto the mustard sauce and top with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese. Top the cheese with the warm bacon and onion mixture. Spread 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce on the bacon mixture.
- Optional: Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top of the prepared hot dogs.
What’s your favorite way to prepare grilled hot dogs?