Valentine's Day Recipe: Strawberry and Chocolate Chip CupcakesTuesday, February 14, 2012
Hearts, flowers, chocolates, strawberries -- love is in the air and for someone who doesn't love the color pink, it's hard to escape the bright colors of February (aka the month of love). How do you celebrate Valentine's Day? As for me, if you don't know by now, my husband and I aren't that big on Valentine's Day. Romantic dinners? Never. Flowers? Nada. Chocolates? No thanks. Teddy bears? Cute but I'll pass.
I've never been a fan of pink, I'm not into hearts, and I'm not a lovey dovey overly romantic person. Don't get me wrong, I love showering my husband with love -- he's my best friend, love of my life, and soul mate. I don't know where I would be without his love, support, confidence, and friendship. I love him to pieces more and more with each passing day and year. But, when it comes to Valentine's Day, we simply wish each other a "Happy Valentine's Day" and then go about our business like any other day...and I'm completely fine with that.
With all that being said, this year was a little different. Usually I shy away from all things hearts and pink treats. So, what did I do this year? I allowed the pink vibes of the month to creep into my kitchen...through the form of a strawberry, my favorite fruit. That's right, my love for strawberries resulted in a Valentine's Day treat.
Am I destined to fall in love with Valentine's Day and all of its loveliness? Most likely not. However, if Valentine's Day treats call for strawberries, I will have no problem joining in on the fun...if only for a bite (or two) of a delicious cupcake.
So join in on the
strawberry Valentine's Day fun with these Strawberry and Chocolate Chip Cupcakes. Whether you're a fan of Valentine's Day or not, one thing is for sure -- you will fall in love with these cupcakes and will love sharing them with your Valentine...if you're into that, of course.
Happy Valentine's Day!
Valentine's Day Recipe: Strawberry and Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Tip: If you're not into baking, simply buy box mix. The best part about box mix? You can easily add different candy and flavors into the mix (and frosting) in order to customize the taste and look.
- 1 box of vanilla cake mix (along with the additional ingredients listed on the box - e.g. oil, eggs, water, etc.)
- 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips
- 1 package of strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 container of classic frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the box.
- Reserve a few strawberries for garnish. Chop the rest of the strawberries and fold them and the chocolate chips into the cake batter.
- Drop the cake batter into the liners until they're 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven, allow them to sit in the pan for 2 minutes, and then transfer them to a wire rack. Let them cool completely before frosting.
- Frost the cupcakes.
- Slice the reserved strawberries in half and garnish the top of each frosted cupcake with a halved strawberry.
What is your favorite way to spend Valentine's Day?