As they say, girls are made of sugar, spice, and everything nice. I think my spice just happens to be cinnamon and my flavor is vanilla. I love adding cinnamon and vanilla to all sorts of fall recipes, sprinkling the flavor combo throughout my home thanks to scented candles, and wearing it every day as I spritz vanilla-hinted perfume on my wrists.
There's just something so warm, comforting, and cozy when it comes to pairing cinnamon and vanilla together. It's like the scents, when combined, wrap a big, cozy sweater on you as you cuddle up to a fire and watch the snow fall outside your window. Add a cup of vanilla flavored coffee with a freshly baked treat and you have perfection ... in my mind.
That's where these Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes come into play. Imagine a cinnamon roll. Now, imagine a cinnamon roll in cupcake form. Unreal, right? That's what I thought when I came across the recipe in one of my favorite Better Homes and Gardens Magazine issue - the cupcake issue.
I've been eyeing these cupcakes for quite some time. Yesterday, I broke out my mixer, as well as my cinnamon and vanilla, and got to work creating a recipe that is full of my favorite spice and flavor. Trust me, it's full of everything nice.
Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup of vanilla frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 26 muffin cups with white cupcake liners.
- Set out the butter and eggs for 30 minutes to allow to come to room temperature.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Stir together the brown sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter in a mixer on high for 30 seconds. Gradually add the granulated sugar. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes or until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the milk into the egg mixture. Beat until just combined.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into the prepared cupcake liners. Sprinkle one teaspoon of the brown sugar over the batter. Top the brown sugar mixture in each cup with the remaining batter. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar mixture over the batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack. Allow to cool completely.
- Frost the cupcakes with vanilla frosting.
What is your favorite spice and flavor?*Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cupcake Issue