Strawberry TurnoversWednesday, January 19, 2011
As many of you probably already know, my husband's absolute favorite fruit is the one and only blueberry. He loves to include blueberries in everything from smoothies to pancakes so I'm always trying to come up with new ways to cook and bake with them.
Me, on the other hand...I love a good blueberry but I will never pass up a ripe and juicy strawberry. Strawberries are my favorite fruit and even though I play around with blueberry recipes, I always try and sneak in a few strawberry recipes just to keep a nice balance. I love drizzling fresh strawberry syrup on waffles and ice cream, tossing strawberries into a scone recipe, and slicing strawberries to add onto a fresh fruit tart.
I grew up near a "Pick Your Own" strawberry field and one of my favorite things to do in the summer was to grab a few baskets and sit out under the sun picking mountains of delicious strawberries. There was nothing like sitting in a strawberry patch with red-stained fingers, dirt on my knees and endless amounts of strawberries everywhere I looked.
Even though this recipe doesn't call for fresh strawberries, each and every bite of these Strawberry Turnovers are filled with the delicious strawberry taste. This mixture of strawberries, puff pasty and cream cheese glaze is the perfect combo to enjoy either for breakfast or dessert.
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of strawberry jam per turnover
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 ounces Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out puff pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 2x2 inch squares.
- Mix together the egg and water. Brush the mixture over each square.
- Place strawberry jam on each square. Fold the squares into triangles and close the edges using the tines of a fork.
- Brush the remaining egg mixture over each turnover.
- Sprinkle the turnovers with sugar.
- Place turnovers onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the turnovers are puffed and golden brown.
- Prepare glaze (Directions: Beat together the cream cheese and powdered sugar until blended. Add 1-2 tablespoons of milk until you reach the desired consistency). Spoon glaze over warm bread and serve.