Crescent Cinnamon Rolls

This post originally appeared on The Confident Mom’s Blog, where How To: Simplify regularly contributes monthly guest posts filled with tips, tricks and recipes to simplify life in the kitchen.

I’m a firm believer that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Hardly a day goes by that I don’t sit down to a filling breakfast loaded with carbs and nutrition. Cereal, bagel with cream cheese, yogurt with fruit or oatmeal paired with orange juice and coffee…these are foods and beverages that keep me full and focused well until lunch time.

Some days I am fresh out of my favorite breakfast foods so I have to venture out and think of new and exciting dishes to hold me over until lunch. Take for example the other morning when we were really low on food and needed to go to the grocery store.

To me, heading to the grocery store hungry is never a good idea. With that in mind, I took inventory on what we had in our kitchen and got to work creating simple and delicious cinnamon rolls. Instead of kneading and waiting for the yeast to rise, the use of refrigerated crescent rolls resulted in rolls that took less than five minutes to prepare. In less than 15 minutes, I removed them from the oven and devoured a handful. Icing or not, these cinnamon rolls were a huge hit in my house.

Crescent Cinnamon Rolls

• 1 tube of refrigerated Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon

• 1 cup Confectioners’ sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch of cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with greased aluminum foil
  2. Unroll crescent rolls and separate into two rectangles.
  3. Brush melted butter over the two rectangles.
  4. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and then sprinkle over the rectangles.
  5. Roll up the two rectangles separately and then cut the rolls into 1-inch pieces.
  6. Place the rolls cut side up on the prepared aluminum foil.
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the rolls are golden.
  8. Remove from baking sheets, allow rolls to cool and then drizzle with icing (Directions for icing: Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl).

What is your favorite breakfast food?

• Reply Simplifying in the South December 13, 2010 at 1:02 pm

These look absolutely delicious! I've been searching for a breakfast recipe (easy/delicious) to make for my family Christmas morning. This is it! Thanks so much for sharing.

Laura's Last Post: A Photography Weekend

• Reply Jenny December 13, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Love it! I tend to make these when I am crunched on time, they really are good!

• Reply Maria December 13, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I love how easy these are!

• Reply alison @ Ingredients, Inc. December 13, 2010 at 4:10 pm

These look fantastic! Hope you had a good weekend!

• Reply Eliana December 13, 2010 at 4:10 pm

As much as I love to bake from scratch, I absolutely love refrigerated crescent rolls. They are a permanent fixture in my fridge. I will have to try them as cinnamon rolls next time as you made these look super delish.

• Reply doughmesstic December 13, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Quick and easy – I like that!

• Reply Barbara l Vino Luci Style December 13, 2010 at 6:49 pm

There are so many things in my journey to become a better cook that have gone by the wayside over the years. Artificial vanilla, box cake mixes, canned mushroom soup for example.

But one thing I still love and that offers so much convenience are crescent rolls and this recipe is a perfect reason why. These look wonderful and I love the convenience!

• Reply Tracy December 13, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Mmm, I love this simple way of making cinnamon rolls! These look perfect!!

• Reply Medifast Coupons December 13, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Well aren't you smart, great idea for quick cinnamon rolls, thanks so much.

• Reply Courtney December 14, 2010 at 2:59 am

Holy sugar, spice, and everything nice.
    I'm sure these tasted amazing :)

• Reply Cookin' Canuck December 14, 2010 at 4:08 am

Quick and easy – perfect for a busy holiday morning.

• Reply Paula - bell'alimento December 15, 2010 at 2:07 am

Super quick & easy. Love it!

• Reply Anonymous December 15, 2010 at 2:26 am

Just made these and boy are they delicious! I cut them into mini mini rolls, and they looked as good as they tasted. =)

• Reply savorysimple.net December 15, 2010 at 5:12 am

These look delicious!

• Reply ~Appetite for Conversation~ December 15, 2010 at 7:19 am

My mom used to make cinnamon rolls in exactly this way. It was as fancy as breakfast ever got, and boy was it great! Thanks for reminding me. :)

• Reply Anonymous April 19, 2011 at 1:59 am

Looks delish…but 2 tablespoons of cinnamon seems a bit much.

• Reply Anonymous November 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Just made these and only had in oven 10 minutes and the bottoms were burnt on about half of them.

• Reply Anonymous December 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Just made these for Christmas morning and they were awesome!!! The ingredients ended up making 2 pkg. of crescent rolls instead of just 1! Made more so we were thrilled!!!

• Reply Anonymous January 17, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I make these by just rolling the crescents the way the directions say. I sprinkle sugar, cinnamon and pecan pieces…they are wonderful! Yummy!!!