Whenever I go to the grocery store, I almost always add to my cart fresh fruits and vegetables. We love to pair our main entrees with a fresh vegetable as well as a side salad. As for our lunches, I love to make deli-style turkey sandwiches with a side of chips, pickle, and slices of apples. My husband and I love eating our meals together so I’m always trying to come up with healthy sides that satisfy all of our cravings.
With that being said, sometimes I end up with too many fruits and vegetables and that’s when my creativity starts to flow. I love adding beans to pasta dishes, potatoes to casseroles, and fruits to baked goods. With some herbs and spices, an ingredient that is on its last breath can easily turn into a delicious weeknight meal or dessert that is guaranteed to please.
This week, I had a craving for muffins and I knew that I had Granny Smith apples in my refrigerator that were begging to be baked. I love the taste of baked goods with apples in them and nothing beats the scent of baked apples. The smells that emanate from the kitchen remind me of my favorite season: fall. No matter what time of year it is, baked apples and their scent always provide just the perfect warmth to my house.
Today, I quickly whipped up a batch of these Chunky Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Crumb Topping and as I sit and write this, I’m surrounded by the beautiful apple cinnamon scent of fall. All of the candles in my house are of the apple cinnamon scent but nothing truly beats the real scent from the oven.
Chunky Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Crumble Topping
For the muffins:
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped (reserve 3 tablespoons diced apple for the crumb topping)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 2 pinches salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons diced apple
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with muffin cups.
- Whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add chopped apples.
- Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter in a small bowl. Gently egg mixture into flour mixture. Do not overmix.
- Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full. Top each muffin cup with the crumb topping (To make crumb topping: Combine all ingredients except apples in a bowl and mix with a fork to create crumbs. Toss in the apples and coat lightly with the flour mixture).
- Bake in the oven for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool slightly, about five minutes, before removing them from the pan. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
What is your scent for your home?