Can you believe that it's already November? Wow, where has the year gone? I must admit, though. I'm doing my best to make the most of fall before winter arrives. My house has been decorated with pumpkins, fall garland, oranges, and reds for the past month or so. Even though Halloween has passed and I have to put away my jack-o-lanterns, I decided to keep the pumpkins and gourds throughout my house as we anticipate one of my favorite holidays: Thanksgiving.
To be completely honest, I don't think that there is one thing that I don't like about Thanksgiving. I love spending the entire day with family and friends as I prepare dish after dish. At the end of the meal, nothing satisfies me more than to look around our table and see my guests with bellies full of the food that I prepared throughout the day. In my opinion, the fact that Thanksgiving is celebrated during the fall is absolute perfection.
Thanksgiving is definitely a foodie's holiday and fall is definitely a foodie's time of year. There have been tons of pumpkin-filled recipes on so many food blogs. These recipes have served as mouth-watering inspiration to the recipes that I create in my kitchen. I love seeing pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg used in a wide variety of ways to help satisfy cravings for fall-flavored treats.
Since I'm not putting away my pumpkins, I refuse to stop cooking with pumpkin until the last bite of pumpkin pie is enjoyed during Thanksgiving. I stumbled across Lorie's Mississippi Kitchen the other day and saw her recipe for Pumpkin Cream Cheese Scones. I knew that I had to make this recipe and put my own spin on it. So, in celebration of November and my love for pumpkins and pumpkin-filled treats, here's a delicious scone recipe that is filled with all of the wonderful flavors of fall.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Scones with Brown Sugar and Honey Glaze
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin spice mix
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup granola
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter, using fingertips, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Whisk together the egg, cream cheese, and pumpkin in a medium bowl. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Drop dough onto prepared baking sheet using an ice cream scooper. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the scones are lightly browned.
- Prepare the glaze: Place brown sugar, honey, and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil while stirring often. Boil for one minute and then remove from the heat.
- Remove scones from the oven and allow them to slightly cool over a baking sheet. Drizzle with glaze. Sprinkle with granola.
What is your favorite pumpkin treat?*Recipe slightly adapted from Lorie's Mississippi Kitchen.