My husband woke up yesterday with a severe craving for blueberry pancakes. Unfortunately, we had no blueberries in the house so I had to put his craving on hold for at least another day. As soon as we arrived at the grocery store, he took a beeline to the fresh product department and we selected a package of the best looking blueberries they had in stock.
This morning, his craving was at an all-time high. With blueberries on hand, I got to work preparing my favorite pancake recipe and then decided to fold in the blueberries right at the end. Before I even sat down to enjoy my pancakes, he had already inhaled them and came back to the kitchen on the prowl for seconds.
He looked at me, saw my plateful of pancakes, and said, "I don't think you enjoy blueberries as much as I do." Come to think of it...I think he's right on that one. I adore blueberries but he is head over heels in love with them. The only two people that might be in competition with his love for blueberries would be my Dad and my late grandfather. Growing up, blueberries that "snapped" were always present in my household and were tossed on top of cereal. The blueberry loving gene definitely runs thick in my family but nobody loves them as much as my husband...and that's alright with me.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg and melted butter.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together and whisk until smooth.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Warm a greased griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Pour the batter onto the griddle and brown on both sides.