Doughnut Muffins

Doughnut Muffins

I’m just going to come right out and say it…these muffins are delicious. I know, you’re probably thinking that I say that about a lot of the muffins that I bake. What can I say? I love muffins. I even love saying the word “muffin.” Call me crazy but it’s such a fun word to say.

To continue on with my love affair with these muffins, I must admit that they are by far the best tasting muffins I’ve had in…well…a long time and that’s saying something. Their fluffy insides coupled with their cinnamon and sugar coating creates a flavor that is enough to make anyone drool.

To quote my husband on this one, “They are so %&@$ing good! I eat them two at a time!” Are you still not convinced? What if I told you that they taste just like doughnuts? I kid you not…they taste exactly like doughnuts hence the name Doughnut Muffins. Pretty clever, right?

Doughnut Muffins

• 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk

For the coating:

• 1/4 -1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin tin.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
  3. Combine oil, sugar, egg and milk in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients and stir only to combine.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. While muffins are baking, melt butter in a small bowl. In another small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
  5. Shake muffins out of the muffin tin while the muffins are still hot.
  6. Dip muffins in the melted butter and then into the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool.

Now…go into your kitchen and start baking these. You will love them. I promise.

*Recipe from lemanda on Tasty Kitchen

• Reply Bugsy August 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Those look amazing. I think I have something to do Saturday morning now :)

… we'll see if they last until Monday.

• Reply Heather I. August 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I've been craving doughnut holes lately, but I always talk myself out of getting them…these could work! I'll have to give them a try :)

• Reply Catspaw August 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I made the following substitutions for a healthier donut muffin (warning: still not super healthy :) )…

1 3/4 cup flour -> 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (sifted), 1 c white flour.
    1/3 cups oil -> 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce plus 1 tbsp oil
    3/4 cup sugar -> 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 sugar worth of stevia (warning: do not replace all sugar with stevia, or the texture is all wrong)
    3/4 cup milk -> 3/4 cup skim milk

I didn't make any replacements to the coating, since that's so integral for the doughnuty taste.

Nutritional information before:

270 calories (14.6g fat; 0.5g fiber; 18.7g sugar; 3.0g protein)

Nutritional information after:

185.8 calories (9.3g fat; 1.3g fiber; 9.0g sugar; 3.2g protein)

• Reply ajcabuang04 August 4, 2010 at 4:59 am

YUM! I've always wanted to make these after I saw it on the foodnetwork. It looks and sounds delicious!! I love cinnamon and sugar!
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

• Reply andrea @ Food Not Fuss August 4, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Yum — I spotted these on FoodGawker and knew I had to come straight over and check them out! They look fabulous, and I love your photos!

• Reply Maria August 4, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Love these! We make them all the time!

• Reply Jenny August 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm

These are so great!! Love your photo!

• Reply Tracy August 4, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I really need to try these…they look amazing!!

• Reply mamadana August 4, 2010 at 7:28 pm

How many does this recipe usually make?
    Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker August 4, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Ooooh these look insanely good! Beautiful picture too!

• Reply How To: Simplify August 4, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Mamadana: This recipe makes 12 muffins if you're using a regular muffin tin. I hope this helps!

• Reply How To: Simplify August 4, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Catspaw: Thank you for sharing an alternative and healthier recipe! I'll have to try it!

• Reply Fuji Mama August 5, 2010 at 1:55 am

I have a MASSIVE weakspot for anything that is covered in cinnamon and sugar. These look amazing. If I gain 5 pounds after eating them all by myself, I'm sending you my gym bill. You've been warned. :)

• Reply Cookin' Canuck August 5, 2010 at 3:08 am

What a treat these muffins would be! Soft insides, with a lovely cinnamon crust.

• Reply thegeneralx August 5, 2010 at 3:16 am

The recipe is from a Betty Crocker book from the 60s, it is called the "French Breakfast Muffin". My mom used to make it for us–in mini muffin pans– for the first day of school.

• Reply Naomi August 5, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Great recipe and picture as always!I love these and seriously need to make some for my family this weekend they will flip for them.

• Reply Maggy@ThreeManyCooks.com August 5, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Muffin and a doughnut combined? This recipe is off the hook! I would make these in a heartbeat…especially for my mom. Can't you bring these to the Big Summer Potluck!? :D

• Reply How To: Simplify August 5, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Maggy: You read my mind! I plan on baking a lot of these muffins/doughnuts tomorrow night to bring with me on Saturday. I think everyone will love them. They are delicious and will be perfect to serve in the morning!

• Reply Anonymous August 6, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Oh…this brings back my childhood My mom made these as a special treat once or twice a year. There are sooo delicious and addicting! You will not be able to stop yourself- only after the sixth one will you begin to regret it!

Thank you for bringing back a childhood favorite!

• Reply SouffleBombay August 8, 2010 at 12:55 pm

These were amazing!! Thanks for bringing them yesterday to The BSP!!
    It was so nice to meet you.
    I just love the clean look of your site and your pictures are fantastic!!
    Happy Sunday!!

• Reply SMITH BITES August 8, 2010 at 11:06 pm

THESE are the stuff dreams are made of!! THESE could end wars and bring World Peace!! THESE are perfection personified!! I'll stop now but only because I'm headed to the kitchen to make them!

• Reply Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon August 9, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I think these muffins are to blame for the few extra pounds that came home with me from the Potluck. And they were worth every single one.

• Reply Tickled Red August 9, 2010 at 2:48 pm

These were the BEST the other morning!! Thanks for sharing them.

• Reply Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle August 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Thankful for the Big Summer Potluck..cause that's the roundabout way I ended up here; thanks go to Deb @smithbites.

Sound delicious; not kidding making some now. Enough of this cereal business for breakfast; I'm craving this muffin!

• Reply Sophia August 10, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Yummy! These muffins look great!! My favorite muffin recipe is for Bay State Muffins! I'm definitely adding yours to my "To Try" list! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply SweetsSuccessBaking August 14, 2010 at 3:45 am

Looks like a must make recipe.

• Reply Amber @ Bluebonnetsandbrownies August 19, 2010 at 4:01 am

Finally made 'em. They're epically awesome.

• Reply Anonymous August 20, 2010 at 12:35 am

after you bake them, do you have to dip the entire muffin in the melted butter? in my head, i was thinking only the top since you prob don't want butter-soaked muffins. but your pic looks like its the whole thing???

…can't wait til i actually make them!

• Reply How To: Simplify August 20, 2010 at 12:58 am

Anonymous: After you bake the muffins, immediately remove the muffins from the pan and dunk the entire muffin in the melted butter. I always dip the top and then the bottom to coat the entire muffin. Next, dip them in the cinnamon and sugar mixture and set on a wire rack. I promise they won't be butter-soaked!

• Reply Anonymous August 21, 2010 at 4:10 am

Made them today! They are amazing and no not butter-soaked at all =) keep all the great recipes coming

• Reply happylifehappywife August 24, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I tried these but they weren't quite what I was expecting. They were still very good, but I didn't get the "doughnut" taste. Any tips on what I might have done wrong? :)

• Reply How To: Simplify August 26, 2010 at 6:12 pm

happylifehappywife: I’m sorry that they weren’t what you were expecting! To me, they remind me of the doughnuts that I used to get at the cider mill when I was a child. I guess we just have different thoughts when it comes to doughnuts. They are always a huge hit when I make them and they never last very long in my home because we devour them one after another. I brought them with me to the Big Summer Potluck event earlier this month and all of the attendees loved them. Thanks for trying the recipe!

• Reply M.N.M's September 5, 2010 at 9:02 am

I have to tell you that I found this recipe through Juggling Motherhood. I've made these muffins about three times in the past month. They are THAT good. And they get a huge THUMBS UP from all those who have devoured them each time!

Great easy recipe. It's my new favourite treat to bake!

• Reply marla {family fresh cooking} September 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Of course you love these doughnut muffins and should absolutely talk them up! They sound truly amazing :)

• Reply Bely October 10, 2010 at 10:05 am

Stevia is natural sweetener with zero calories, zero carbohydrates and a zero glycemic index i use it in my daily life and it is economic 1kg of stevia= 300kg of regular sugar.
    for more info http://healthmad.com/health/what-do-you-know-about-stevia

• Reply bunnybride October 22, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I've tried this recipe the other day and what can I tell you – these are heavenly! My initial plan was to freeze them so I could take one out every morning for my breakfast – well that didn't happen because they are JUST TOO GOOD! Thanks!

• Reply Anonymous October 27, 2010 at 1:38 pm

try putting a powdered sugar glaze on them, talk about DELICIOUS!

• Reply Anonymous December 13, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I was excited to try and make these-but when I went to get the ingredients and I have no nutmeg. Any suggestions on a subsitute?

• Reply How To: Simplify December 13, 2010 at 7:10 pm

You could try using Allspice or Ground Cloves (just make sure to half the amount). Or, you could add just a bit more Cinnamon and skip the Ginger/Ginger substitute altogether. I hope this helps!

• Reply Anonymous December 14, 2010 at 9:43 pm

thank you for the tip!! I'm excited to make these!!

• Reply Sarah C. January 20, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Incredible!! Thanks for the recipe. :)

• Reply Arie January 31, 2011 at 1:12 pm

These were so easy to make and a big hit.

• Reply Ally Martel Smith February 28, 2011 at 12:26 am

SOOOO DELICIOUS!!!! Thank you so much for this recipe :) Everyone enjoyed them!

• Reply Fresh and Foodie March 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm

These are so cute! I can't wait to make them — I've been dreaming about them since I first saw their puffy, sugary goodness on my screen!

• Reply Anonymous March 18, 2011 at 2:00 am

My kids love these, as do my neighbors now too! We just tried making them with blueberries and they were great. You just need to bake them about 5 minutes longer if using frozen blueberries (which we were since I freeze them in the winter for use in pancakes in the winter). I only add butter to the tops and roll the whole thing in the sugar cinnamon and it's just the right amount of sweet.

• Reply Tiff March 25, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I just made these and they are amazing!!! I am definitely saving this one! As my husband would say, "we should add these into the weekly rotation!"

• Reply Karissa July 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I made these last night and they were so good! I linked your recipe on my blog because of it.

• Reply ga'ma jan October 22, 2011 at 6:36 am

Can these be filled with jam in the middle before baking? Do you think it would affect the rising of the batter. My husband & I love
    Jelly filled donuts & muffins. I make homemade from scratch all
    The time. I want to make this receipe because it sounds soooooo
    Good :-)thanks, grandma jan :-)

• Reply Beth November 19, 2011 at 1:03 am

These were reaaaaally yummy; thanks! Any tips on how to get the muffins out easily? Do I just need to spray my pan more?? Do I need a different kind of pan entirely?? You talk about them "falling" out and mine have to be pried out with a knife (not always coming out in one piece!)

• Reply Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño December 17, 2011 at 2:26 pm

How did I miss these before. Love love them. {newest follower} :)

• Reply Jan March 21, 2012 at 4:50 am

I found a recipe in taste of home baking book for cake donut muffins that call for using jam in the middle. I made them on Sunday and made more today…sinfully delicious.

• Reply Christina April 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I found your post on Pinterest and made these bites of heaven earlier this week. You're absolutely right – you can't have just one!

• Reply Anonymous August 16, 2012 at 7:41 am

can someone please tell me what all the mesurments are in grams

• Reply Anonymous December 11, 2012 at 7:48 pm

You can google a conversion chart that you can print out. Hope that helps :)

• Reply Anonymous August 16, 2012 at 7:57 am

hey guys i would love to cook these but could someone chang it into grams instead

• Reply Anonymous November 16, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Just made these! Yummyyyy! Thank u!

• Reply Laura December 1, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I've just made this.. WOW, I ate three one after the other and had to leave the kitchen!Thought they'd be a bit greasy with the butter coating but hop, they are yummmm!! Thanks for the recipe!!

• Reply Anonymous December 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm

These were Absolutly Devine! I did run into all sorts of issues with the melted butter though. Which included severly burning 3 fingers :( Ohh Lord! ( like it was my first time in the kitchen ) LOL Anyhow, I ended up just dippin the tops into the butter and sugar mixture. Still fab!

• Reply Anonymous January 7, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Is it possible to make these in a donut pan or will they not rise correctly?

• Reply April O January 19, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Just finished making these! So easy, and yummy! Thank you for the recipe. :)

• Reply Ronnie's Ramblings April 23, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Bake these once…..and you'll make them again and again. The are really Great Muffins!!!

• Reply Anet Mendoza June 13, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Wow ive seen the recipe and im going to make them now everyone says good compliments so im convinced!!!!

• Reply Anonymous June 16, 2013 at 7:59 am

I read this post completely concerning the difference of hottеst and preceding teсhnologіes, it's remarkable article.

my blog :: hemorrhoids natural cures ()

• Reply Anonymous June 16, 2013 at 8:04 am

hello!,Ι гeally liκe yοuг writіng ѕο so muсh!
    sharе ωe kееp іn touch extra about уour
    aгtіcle on AOL? I гequіге an expert in thiѕ house to
    resolvе my problem. Mаy be that's you! Looking forward to look you.

My homepage; debeka zahnzusatzversicherung formulare

• Reply Anonymous June 16, 2013 at 10:15 am

I'm extremely inspired along with your writing abilities and also with the format to your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or did you modify it your self? Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it'ѕ uncοmmon to sеe a great blog
    lіκе this οne nοwadаys.

Reνiеw my site emorroidi rimedi naturali

• Reply Anonymous June 16, 2013 at 11:30 am

Thіѕ ρost is аctuallу a fastiԁious onе it assists nеw net people, who aге wishing for blogging.

Here is my blog – How To Get Rid Of Cellulite In Legs

• Reply Anonymous June 16, 2013 at 3:09 pm

My sρousе anԁ I abѕolutеlу lοve уοur blog and finԁ almost all of yоuг poѕt's to be what precisely I'm looking
    fοr. can you οffer guest wrіters tο ωritе content in yοur casе?
    I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on many of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome site!

Feel free to surf to my web-site :: chatrulet :: ::

• Reply Anonymous June 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I drop а cοmment each time I apprеciate а аrticle on a
    ѕіte or I hаve sοmething to ѵaluablе to cοntrіbute tο thе conνersation.
    It is a rеsult of the ѕіncernеѕs dіsplaуеd іn the ρost I lookеd at.

Anԁ after this ρost "Doughnut Muffins".
    I ωas aсtually eхcіteԁ enough to drop
    а commеnt :-P I actuallу ԁo havе a сouplе οf questions for уou
    if уou don't mind. Is it simply me or does it appear like a few of the comments appear like written by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at other online social sites, I'd lіke to fοlloω everуthing neω уou have tο
    poѕt. Cоuld you maκе a list eveгy one of all уour cοmmunal
    ѕitеѕ lіke your Faсebοok page, twitter
    feeԁ, or linkеdin ρгofilе?

Feel frеe to suгf to mу ωebsite Bauchmuskeltraining

• Reply Anonymous June 17, 2013 at 9:10 am

Ιt's wonderful that you are getting thoughts from this paragraph as well as from our argument made at this place.

Here is my homepage visit the Following website (blogs.albawaba.com)

• Reply Anonymous June 17, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Hello there! Тhis blog poѕt could not be written much bеtter!
    Reading through this рost reminds mе of my previous rоommate!
    He constantly kеpt preaching about this. I will forωard this аrticle to him.
    Fairly ceгtain he'll have a great read. I appreciate you for sharing!

Also visit my page: Chatroulette

• Reply Anonymous June 18, 2013 at 10:07 am

Apрreсiating the dedicatіon yοu рut into your websitе and
    in ԁeρth іnformation you prоviԁе.

It's awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't thе same unwanted rehaѕhеd mateгial.
    Great геaԁ! I've bookmarked your site and I'm including yоur RSЅ fеeds to mу Google асcοunt.

Here іѕ my ωeb blog cellulite leggings

• Reply Anonymous June 18, 2013 at 11:08 am

Saveԁ as a favorite, Ӏ lovе yоur
    web site!

Feel freе to suгf to mу webpage
    dal die abnehm lösung erfahrung

• Reply gram bakes March 26, 2015 at 3:18 am

My 9 year old granddaughter took a bit of one of these precious gems, stopped chewing and managed to say, Gram, " these are crazy good!" She is absolutely right. They have already become our favorite treat. So easy to make too. Thanks for a great recipe.