For me, whenever I bake muffins that include fruit, I almost always throw on a crumb topping to kick the flavor and texture up a notch. However, crumb topping isn't just tasty on muffins. It can also be added to pies, tarts and crisps.
All crumb toppings generally use the same ingredients: sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter. Many people prefer to use cold butter when creating a crumb topping. I'm just the opposite. I've found that using melted butter is much easier and creates perfect crumbs that look great and taste even better.
Making a Crumb Topping
Ingredients (for 12 muffins):
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a small bowl, use a fork and mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over the muffin batter.
- Place muffins in the oven and bake for required time.
If you're in the mood for some muffins with crumb topping, be sure to stop by Banana Muffins with Crumb Topping and Cafe-style Blueberry Muffins. These are two of my favorite muffins because they are loaded with flavor and topped with this delicious recipe for crumb topping that adds a great crunch.