After scoping out my refrigerator and cupboards last night I realized that I had all of the ingredients so I got to work and made this delicious treat. The recipe was first posted by Thibeault’s Table Blog, who believes that “recipes are meant to be shared” . . . I couldn’t agree more!
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 3/4 cup milk
- In a 9 inch square cake pan, combine melted butter and brown sugar, spread evenly on bottom. Spread blueberries evenly over top. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating until light. Beat in egg and vanilla. Sift or mix together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon (if using). Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to cream mixture. Spread batter evenly over blueberry layer.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in pan, then turn out onto large flat plate.
Be sure to have ice cream or whipped cream on hand! This cake is perfect served warm. It also makes for a great breakfast or coffee cake too!
*Photo courtesy of Thibeault’s Table Blog