Let’s face it. Mornings can be a bit rough, especially if you’re not a morning person. As a night owl who also has to wake up early because I have two young kids, I’m all too familiar with waking up before I’m ready. I’ve never been one to sleep in but I’ve also never been one to wake up incredibly early.
Now that my kids are in the picture, I need to be prepared to wake up and be ready to hit the ground running. Over the years, I’ve realized that there are a few tips and items to help make mornings easier and start the day off right.
5 Morning Habits to Start Your Day Off Right
1.) Get More Sleep
Getting more sleep sounds simple enough, right? If you’re like me, it’s hard to go to bed earlier. Once the kids go to bed, I usually try to squeeze in more work before I shut everything down for the night. The next thing I know, the clock is showing a time that is incredibly late. If you want to wake up earlier and happier, trim down the hours that you stay up at night. It’s all about baby steps. The first step is to start assuming that you have one less hour before bed and don’t agree to items that infringe on that hour.
2.) Make Your Bed
By making your bed every morning, one of your first feelings of the day will be a sense of accomplishment and pride. From there, your body will be encouraged and driven to make more accomplishments throughout the day.
3.) Prepare the Night Before
For me, preparing the night before means cleaning the kitchen and putting all of the toys away. There’s nothing better than walking downstairs to a clean house. If I woke up to piles of dishes in the sink and toys strewn all throughout the house, my head might spin. For others, it might mean packing lunches, setting out clothes, getting backpacks ready, etc. Preparing the night before will result in easier, happier mornings.
4.) Set Your Mind
You can either choose to be unhappy or choose to be happy. Your mood in the morning will set the tone for the day. So, why not choose happy, positive thoughts as your first thoughts of the day? Don’t look at the glass as half empty. Look at the day ahead, smile (because I’ve always read that smiling can increase happiness), and be confident that you will conquer the day ahead. You can even create a checklist of to do items that need to be accomplished throughout the day. As you go through your day, be sure to check off the items to increase your sense of accomplishment.
5.) Energize Your Body
As they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. To me, breakfast doesn’t have to be elaborate. I prefer something that will keep me energized. Lately, I’ve been opting for half of a grapefruit, two apple-flavored rice cakes with a tiny bit of crunchy peanut butter, and coffee.
I recently came across Eight O’Clock Coffee Infusions which are the perfect way to jump start your day. Eight O’Clock Coffee has developed new varieties of coffee blended with added ingredients for an enhanced coffee experience.
- Alert Hi-Caffeine: Their careful selection of 100% Arabica beans are medium roasted for a bold, robust flavor and gently blended with caffeine and guarana to help brighten your day.
- Relax Decaffeinated: Their careful selection of decaffeinated 100% Arabica beans are gently roasted for a smooth, well balanced, flavorful finish and blended with cuts of chamomile and lavender to help soothe and relax you. A perfect combination to enjoy as you unwind.
- Super Spice: Gently roasted and blended with turmeric and cinnamon for a smooth, mild spiced flavor to awaken your senses.
- B6 Metabolism: Gently blended with a fruit and herbal blend rich in Vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 helps support normal energy-yielding metabolism.
- Acai Glow: Gently blended with acai berry for a rich, fruity, vibrant flavor. A lively combination to help invigorate your day.
The names of the coffee were very intriguing which made me excited to wake up and brew myself a cup (or two) of coffee. As it turns out, all of the flavors are unique and delicious. However, my personal favorite is the Super Spice flavor. The spices are just the right touch to help wake up my senses and start my day off right.
What helps you start your day off right?