When we lived in D.C. and our son started eating solid foods, my husband and I would stop by our favorite sandwich shop, pick up food, fill a picnic basket with drinks, grab a blanket, and head to the National Mall to spend the afternoon together.
I will always have fond memories of the first time my son enjoyed big boy food. He took his bite of food during one of our picnics. I love looking at the photos of smashed avocado all over his face.
To me, picnics are a great way to enjoy finger foods and each other’s company. It is an incredible bonding experience that creates so many fun memories.
All that you need to do is grab a few picnic essentials, toss them into the car, rub on some sunscreen, and head to the park to enjoy a perfect picnic with your family or friends.
10 Perfect Picnic Essentials
Here are some of my favorite picnic essentials to bring along on a summer picnic.
- Picnic Basket – Finding a basket that has compartments and straps will help keep the food, beverages, plates, containers, cups, and cutlery organized.
- Picnic Blanket – Pick one that is a great size. That way, you can fit the whole family on the blanker.
- Cheese Boards – Setting out finger foods on cheese boards add a bit of simple elegance to a picnic.
- Horeshoe Game Set – Keep the adults entertained by having games on hand that they will love to play.
- Mason Jars – You can store food in the jars or serve beverages in the jars. You can also store condiments in the jars to avoid having soggy food. These jars are multi-functional.
- Paper Plates – Having sturdy paper plates on hand will make eating food more enjoyable. Plus, you can toss them at the end of the picnic.
- Susty Party Compostable Wood Cutlery – Using compostable cutlery is not only unique but also eco-friendly.
- Food Storage Containers – Pack your food in the storage containers to keep the dishes organized.
- Scoop Ball Game Set – Be sure to have games on hand for younger kids too. You want to be sure you keep all ages entertained during the picnic.
- Insulated Cooler – There are so many types of coolers on the market. Find one that is a great size and insulated. Plus, having a strap on the cooler will make the bag easier to carry.
What’s your favorite picnic essential?