It doesn’t matter what we put on his tray, it always ends up in an eating contest as he shovels handfuls into his mouth as quickly as possible. His absolute favorite snack is endless amounts of fruit. I kid you not. Needless to say, we go through our fair share of fruit and we often find ourselves making multiple trips to the grocery store every week to maintain our full stock of fruit.
Drive to our home and you’ll see sprawling farm fields, as well as endless hills and mountains. Even though we recently did the baby crawl from the city to the suburbs and traded the sounds of the city with the sounds of the country (hello, cows), we thankfully aren’t too far away from our basic needs. Yes, I’m talking about a grocery store. Drive a little outside of our development and you’ll come across a Safeway store that (thankfully) is always there to make sure that our fruit supply is fully stocked.
Just in time for spring, Safeway stores in the Mid-Atlantic region are featuring a broad selection of specially priced items, perfect for cookouts and picnics alike. Safeway’s popular $5 Friday items (available May 29) include eight-piece Fried Chicken packs, 20-pack cans of Pepsi or Canada Dry sodas, and two pound containers of fresh strawberries.
Featured grill items include Open Nature Lamb Loin Chops at $7.99 per pound, USDA choice beef sirloin at $7.99 per pound, rib steaks at $9.99 per pound, and gourmet burger patties with bacon, cheddar, blue cheese and pepper at $5.99 (regularly priced $6.49). Store specials also include fresh cut and whole fruits and vegetables, selected fresh seafood specialties, and other items.
The complete list of store specials is detailed below:
Five-Dollar Friday Items:
- 20-pack Pepsi/Canada Dry cans
- Klondike Ice Cream – 2 for $5
- Eight-piece Fried Chicken
- Two pound container of Fresh Strawberries
- Angel Soft 12-pack (Double Rolls)
- Safeway Frozen Meatballs or Pantry Essentials Chicken Nuggets (22 or 24-ounce bags)
- Open Nature Leg Quarters (20 ounce)
- Luvs/Mom to Mom/Pampers/Huggies Wipes and/or Jumbo Diapers
Next Week’s Specials:
- Half Sheet cake – $24.99
- Fried Chicken (50 pieces) – $35.99
- Open Nature Lamb Loin Chops – $7.99/lb.
- USDA Choice Boneless Beef Top Sirloin – $7.99/lb.; Rib Steaks $9.99/lb.
- Gourmet Burger Patties (93 percent lean; Bacon Cheddar, Blue Cheese and Pepper) – $5.99/lb.
- Kabobs with Vegetables (Chicken, Pork, Sausage) – $5.99/lb.
- Prince Edward Mussels – 2 lbs. for $6.99 (Club Card)
- Cherrystone Clams – 12 for $5.99 (Club Card)
- Oysters – 6 for $5.94
- Ken’s Salad Dressing – $2.99 (Club Card)
- Welch’s Fruit Snacks – 2 for $4 (Club Card)
- Kellogg’s Rice Krispies/Fruit Loops/Frosted Flakes – 2 for $5 (12.2- to 23.5-ounce sizes)
- Athena Melons – 2 for $5
- Gold Pineapple $2.99 (Everyday Low Price)
- Sweet Red Cherries – $2.99/lb. (Club Card)
- Organic Mangoes – 2 for $4 (Club Card)
- Driscoll Organic Strawberries – $4.99/lb.
Fruit Recipes for the Spring
Be sure to stop by Safeway and take advantage of these specials that run from May 27 through June 2. You can stock up on the sale items and prepare one of the recipes below. These recipes are perfect for a hot spring day.
What’s your favorite fruit recipe?
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Safeway. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.