If you're anything like me, you love to cook for family and friends. One of the greatest joys I have is hosting dinner at my house. Filling bellies with home cooked food that I created and prepared in my kitchen is always so gratifying.
I love to experiment and try new recipes as a hobby. Adding rosemary here, lemon pepper there...basil here, oregano there...experimenting with spices, herbs, and flavor combinations keeps my time spent in the kitchen new and fresh. Sharing those recipes with all of you is an exciting experience.
With all that being said, even though I love to experiment and try new recipes, when it comes to cooking for guests, I stick to my go to dishes. Serving tried and true recipes leaves me less worried and stressed in the kitchen. Knowing the measurements and timing leaves me with a sense of control. Having the confidence that the dishes will look and taste delicious leaves me with a sense of satisfaction.
What are my go to dishes? Well, for starters I love to serve bruschetta or Bleu Cheese and Tomato Puff Pastry Tarts. For main dishes, my White Chicken Chili and the "Tilley Special" (aka Classic
Barbecue Spareribs) are always a big hit. For a side dish, my Mushroom Risotto is always a crowd pleaser. When it comes to dessert, Cookies and Cream Brownies always steal the spotlight.
My other favorite dessert? Sometimes nothing compares to warm cookies. Plus, if you have extra that you want to get out of the house (before you eat them all once the guests leave), package them up in cute bags and send them home with your guests as goodie bags. Not only will you serve your guests a fantastic dinner, they'll also have a nice treat to enjoy once they're home.
This cookie recipe is my go to cookie recipe because the cookies always come out perfectly sweet and soft. Take the main components (sugars, butter, eggs, vanilla, baking soda, salt, and four) and toss in your favorite cookie treat. Mix it all together, drop dough balls onto a baking sheet and stick them in the oven for 10-12 minutes and voila. You'll have perfect little cookies each and every time.
I had some extra milk chocolate chips and white chocolate chips in my freezer begging to be baked. So, I took my favorite go to cookie recipe, tossed in the chocolate chips, and baked cookie after delicious cookie. The best part? I had friends over the other night so I made sure to send them home with a couple bags of these tasty treats.
White and Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place sugar, dark brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla in a bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Add baking soda, salt and flour into a medium bowl and mix to combine. Add this mixture to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in themilk chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls (or use an ice cream scooper) onto baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
What is your go to recipe?