When I was in Michigan last weekend, fall definitely made an appearance. Upon arrival, the temperature was a bit on the warmer side. By the time the car was packed and ready to head south after a wonderful weekend spent with family and friends, we were bundled up in fall clothes due to the chill in the air.
To me, there's nothing better than fall in Michigan. The colorful leaves and crisp temperatures paired with boots and scarves ... the feeling is almost magical.
Even though it's sad to say goodbye to summer, there's always something sweet and overwhelmingly satisfying about welcoming fall with open arms. From cider mills to pumpkin patches, apple cider to pumpkin bars, dipping apples in caramel to carving faces into pumpkins, there's nothing quite like fall.
This morning, I woke up to overcast D.C. skies hoping for a touch of fall to show its beautiful face. The trip last weekend has had me craving fall each and every day. The temperatures have been so warm lately, making the fall weather that was experienced in Michigan quite a tease to what's to come. With open windows, I noticed that as the day progressed, the skies darkened since rain was headed our way.
With football on the television and the dogs sleeping the day away, I headed into the kitchen to see what I could bake. With a little experimentation and ingredient substitution, I took my traditional cookie recipe and transformed it into this Peanut Butter and White Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.
By the time the cookies came out of the oven, the temperature dropped a bit, allowing a cool air to enter our home. With the warmth of the oven, the crispness of the air, and the smell of freshly baked cookies, I couldn't help but think that a little bit of fall made an appearance in our city today.
Here's to hoping that the temperatures continue to drop, the leaves begin to change, and fall-themed treats start to make an appearance in my kitchen.
Peanut Butter and White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a mixer to mix together the oil and sugar. Add the eggs and mix together. Pour in the vanilla and blend until combined.
- Pour the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and mix until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until combined.
- Fold in the peanut butter chips and white chocolate chips.
- Use an ice cream scooper to form tablespoonfuls of the dough. Place the dough on the baking sheet two inches apart.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
What is your favorite kind of cookie?