Nutella, Banana and Coconut Hot Pockets

Nutella, Banana and Coconut Hot Pockets

Trivia question: What is the one ingredient that I always have in my freezer? If you guessed frozen puff pastry dough, then you are correct. I cannot get enough of puff pastry. It comes in handy whenever I need to throw together an appetizer or dessert. It’s even nice to serve with countless dishes such as chicken pot pie and stew. This dough is so versatile and I always have fun playing with it as I experiment with different flavor combinations.

Another ingredient that I always love to have in my kitchen is Nutella. I mean, who doesn’t love Nutella? Ever since I studied abroad years ago and tasted it for the first time, I’m always trying to think of new ways to add this delicious treat to my dessert recipes.

Lately I’ve been craving something sweet but I haven’t been able to satisfy that craving…until I made this little creation. With puff pastry dough, bananas, Nutella, and coconut on hand, I created a satisfying, light and fluffy treat in under 30 minutes. As soon as they came out of the oven, my husband said that they looked like hot pockets…hence the name Nutella, Banana and Coconut Hot Pockets.

Nutella, Banana and Coconut Hot Pockets

• 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
  • 1 banana, sliced
  • 4 teaspoons Nutella
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • Dash of sugar
  • 1 tablespoon roughly chopped chocolate bar

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Roll out puff pastry dough onto a lightly floured surface.
  3. Cut the dough into four large squares.
  4. Place two slices of banana on one side of each square and then top with 1 teaspoon of Nutella. Sprinkle a dash of coconut over the Nutella.
  5. Mix together the egg and water. Brush this mixture along the edges of each square. Flip the other side of the square over the banana, Nutella and coconut. Seal the pocket using the tines of fork.
  6. Repeat with the remaining three squares.
  7. Brush the tops of each square with the egg mixture and sprinkle the top with sugar.
  8. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the puff pastry is puffed and browned.
  9. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once cool, drizzle warmed Nutella over the pockets, chopped chocolate bar, coconut and sugar.

What is your favorite ingredient that you always have in the kitchen?

• Reply Tracy March 22, 2011 at 12:22 am

I'm totally smitten with these! I need to restock my freezer with some puff pastry!

• Reply Joanne March 22, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Mmm I wish I could just keep nutella around willy nilly but I have too much of a tendency to just go at it with a spoon before using it for anything useful. these pockets look so fabulous that I'm just going to have to give in and buy some to make it!

• Reply Coconut and Vanilla March 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm

They sound delicious! I just need some bananas, as I also have always puff pastry in the freezer. It's so versatile! Thanks for the inspiration.

• Reply Liren March 22, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Nutella and bananas in a waffle sandwich are my go-to treat whenever I am "unprepared" for dessert – this takes it a step further – for me, it's absolutely brilliant.

• Reply Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction March 22, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Wow, these look fabulous! I almost never have puff pastry in the house, but I think I need to fix that.

• Reply FoodIsMyMeez March 23, 2011 at 6:07 pm

That sounds awesome! I am going to have to give it a shot this weekend!

• Reply Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum March 29, 2011 at 2:31 am

Yummmm. This looks like something I should have for breakfast. And by breakfast, I mean right now! I love Nutella!

• Reply Van March 30, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Hi Jen!

I am chiming in. I made this over the weekend and it was delicious! Although…mine don't look at pretty as yours. =

• Reply Ana April 10, 2011 at 8:30 pm

these were delicious!!!

• Reply From Tracie April 13, 2011 at 12:50 am

WOW…that looks so very yummy! I'm going to have to try it!

• Reply Anonymous October 29, 2011 at 6:41 pm

would you ever recommend this for a bake sale ?

• Reply Elena November 27, 2011 at 6:14 pm

These hot pockets are yummy! I have made these a few times and they are always eaten very quickly and everyone asking me why I did not make more? lol Great recipe!!

• Reply Maria November 27, 2011 at 6:30 pm

What a neat idea for hot pockets. My kids love the ones at the store, but those are filled with pizza stuffings. This looks like it would be a great dessert or a snack. Can't wait to try it out!

• Reply Kara March 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Added chopped mango because I had it lying around… Also with strawberry sauce. YUM! Thanks for the inspiration!