Trivia question: What is the one ingredient that I always have in my freezer? If you guessed frozen puff pastry dough, then you are correct. I cannot get enough of puff pastry. It comes in handy whenever I need to throw together an appetizer or dessert. It’s even nice to serve with countless dishes such as chicken pot pie and stew. This dough is so versatile and I always have fun playing with it as I experiment with different flavor combinations.
Another ingredient that I always love to have in my kitchen is Nutella. I mean, who doesn’t love Nutella? Ever since I studied abroad years ago and tasted it for the first time, I’m always trying to think of new ways to add this delicious treat to my dessert recipes.
Lately I’ve been craving something sweet but I haven’t been able to satisfy that craving…until I made this little creation. With puff pastry dough, bananas, Nutella, and coconut on hand, I created a satisfying, light and fluffy treat in under 30 minutes. As soon as they came out of the oven, my husband said that they looked like hot pockets…hence the name Nutella, Banana and Coconut Hot Pockets.
Nutella, Banana and Coconut Hot Pockets
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1 banana, sliced
- 4 teaspoons Nutella
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Dash of sugar
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped chocolate bar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out puff pastry dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cut the dough into four large squares.
- Place two slices of banana on one side of each square and then top with 1 teaspoon of Nutella. Sprinkle a dash of coconut over the Nutella.
- Mix together the egg and water. Brush this mixture along the edges of each square. Flip the other side of the square over the banana, Nutella and coconut. Seal the pocket using the tines of fork.
- Repeat with the remaining three squares.
- Brush the tops of each square with the egg mixture and sprinkle the top with sugar.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the puff pastry is puffed and browned.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once cool, drizzle warmed Nutella over the pockets, chopped chocolate bar, coconut and sugar.
What is your favorite ingredient that you always have in the kitchen?