Banana Cream Cheese Muffins with Crumb ToppingMonday, January 24, 2011
One of my favorite things happened in the kitchen this morning. I woke up to find ripened bananas hanging from my banana hook. To me, it was a sight for sore eyes and I couldn't wait to create a baked banana treat. My husband has been craving a chocolate treat for many days now so when I told him that I was going to bake with the bananas he was a little disappointed.
Since I'm heading out of town for a few days this week, I knew I had to use up the bananas prior to my departure. Because of this, I had to think of a way to spruce up my traditional muffins in order to keep the husband happy...and to give him treats to snack on throughout the week.
I perused my cupboard and refrigerator to see what I could come up with using mashed bananas and discovered that I had just enough cream cheese for a delicious stuffing. By adding just a tablespoonful of the cream cheese filling into each muffin cup, it resulted in a smooth and creamy dollop of a surprise in each and every bite of the muffins.
Banana Cream Cheese Muffins with Crumb Topping
For the muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and then beat together the bananas, sugar, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Combine banana mixture with the flour mixture until just moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups (leave a little batter to top the cream cheese filling).
- Create the cream cheese filling by mixing together all three of the ingredients. Pour a tablespoonful onto the batter in the muffin cups. Top the cream cheese with the remaining muffin batter.
- Create the topping: use a fork and mix together the brown sugar, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, cinnamon and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over the batter.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.