Spinach and Sausage PastaWednesday, March 16, 2011
If there's one thing you should know about me when it comes to food, it's that I love pasta. Although I've never tested it, I'm positive I could eat pasta every day of the week and never grow tired of it. The best thing about pasta is that, with very few ingredients, you can make a quick weeknight meal that is full of flavor. Instead of sticking with boring old spaghetti (don't get me wrong, I love spaghetti), add some flavors into the pot, along with some veggies and you can easily liven up a pasta dish.
Whenever I don't have tomatoes or pasta sauce on hand, I always turn to my trusty dish of noodles with butter and spices. Paired with a healthy salad, this dinner is such a nice go-to meal when I'm in a bind, don't have very many ingredients on hand or don't feel like running up to the grocery store. I recently made this dish the other night and, like always, it was a huge hit in our home.
With this version, I decided to spice this dish up a bit by adding spinach and mild sausage since I had both of these ingredients in my freezer. With just a few extra steps, I had a dish that was not only beautiful, but also filling and flavorful. I know that I'll be turning to this dish many times down the road. To me, you can never go wrong with pasta, veggies, meat and a delicious sauce to tie everything together.
Spinach and Sausage Pasta
- 1 package thick spaghetti noodles
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 mild Italian sausages, casings removed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Salt (depending on taste)
- Dash of salt (depending on taste)
- Dash of Cayenne Pepper (depending on taste)
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Put a dash of salt into the boiling water and then add the pasta. Cook the pasta according to the directions.
- Pour olive oil into a frying pan, heat the oil and then add the sausage pieces. Cook the sausage thoroughly and then remove and set the sausage on paper towel and allow to drain.
- Drain the pasta and then return to the pot. Add the spinach, sausage and remaining ingredients into the pot and stir the noodles to coat.
- Serve warm.
What's your favorite way to enjoy pasta?