Some of my favorite moments spent with my husband are the nights where we both cook together while enjoying a bottle of wine. I can usually be found in the kitchen preparing the sides and salad while my husband uses his grill master skills to prepare the meat.
Whether the temperature is in the triple digits or snow is falling from the sky, my husband has never been timid to brave the elements and be one with his grill. I love that he takes so much pride in his work, especially since the end result is always so succulent. While the sides are simmering away on the stove, I always end up outside watching him put his skills to work as we chat and sip from our glasses.
After going to the grocery store, deciding on a menu, preparing the dish, and enjoying glasses of wine, one of the greatest parts of the night is when the dish comes together. With the smell of the grill in the air and the aromas that escape from the kitchen, watching all of the elements fall into place feels like such an accomplishment and a reward.
Last night, we were trying to think of a new dish that would combine all of our work into one simple yet delicious dish. My husband had a taste for Fettucini Alfredo and he knew that the perfect complement to that dish was grilled chicken. The end result was a dish that I know we will keep in our repertoire for years to come.
Chicken and Pea Fettucini Alfredo
- 4 chicken breasts
- Italian dressing
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups Alfredo sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon dried Basil
- 1 lb Fettucini noodles, cooked
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Trim the fat from the chicken breasts and place in a dish. On both sides, puncture the chicken breasts with a fork. Pour enough Italian dressing on the chicken breasts so that they are coated. Cover the dish and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Fire up the grill and cook the chicken on the grill, flipping 1-2 times, until the chicken breasts are fully cooked. Remove from the grill and allow to sit.
- Take a large saute pan and coat the bottom with the extra virgin olive oil. Heat the oil and place the onions in the hot pan. Saute the onions until they are translucent (approximately 2-3 minutes). Add in the garlic and continue to cook for an additional minutes. Add the frozen peas and cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour the Alfredo sauce into the onion and pea mixture and cook until all the ingredients are heated through. Add the dried basil and season with salt and pepper. Add the pasta into the mixture and toss to coat.
- Place the pasta into dishes and top each serving with a sliced chicken breast.
What is your favorite pasta dish?