I’m a firm believer that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Whether you fix yourself a bowl of cereal or make stack after stack of pancakes, you should never start your day off on the wrong foot by skipping breakfast.
My favorite food to eat in the mornings is a heaping bowl of cereal with a large glass of orange juice. To this day, my husband still has a hard time understanding how I work my way through a box of cereal with such great speed. Unfortunately, we haven’t had cereal in our house for a few days so I’ve had to be creative when it comes to eating breakfast.
This morning, I perused our refrigerator and noticed that we had eggs, milk, onions, one tomato, one green pepper from our plant in the backyard, cheese, turkey bacon and flour tortillas. After taking inventory on the items in our kitchen, a light bulb immediately when on in my head. I realized that I had the perfect ingredients for breakfast burritos.
The fresh vegetables mixed with the fluffy eggs and the melted cheese all wrapped in a warm flour tortilla was a great way to enjoy breakfast this morning.
Egg, Pepper and Bacon Breakfast Burrito
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Taco sauce (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan. Toss in the onions and saute for 1-2 minutes or until softened. Add the green pepper and continue to saute until the pepper is softened (approximately 1-2 minutes). Toss in the tomato.
- Whisk together the eggs and the milk. Pour this mixture into the saute pan and stir vegetables and eggs together until the eggs become scrambled.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the mixture, stir and remove mixture from the hot pan.
- Warm the tortillas and spoon the egg and vegetable mixture into the tortillas. Sprinkle the top of the egg and vegetables with bacon and cheddar cheese.
- Wrap the tortillas and serve warm with taco sauce.
What’s your favorite breakfast food?