Bacon-and-Egg-Cups

Bacon and Egg Cups

As you are probably well aware by now, I love cereal. I don’t think I have come across a cereal that I didn’t like. If I want to get my day started off on the right foot, I pour myself a huge bowl of cereal and leave the house with a very happy tummy. This week, however, my cereal intake has been less than satisfactory. We have cereal in our pantry but sadly we ran out of milk over the weekend. Excuse me while I add that to my grocery shopping list…

Now that that’s taken care of, I would like to share with you a little creation I threw together to feed my hunger pains this morning. I bought a ton of bacon last week and piled the eggs high in my shopping cart too. Now, you’re probably asking, why didn’t you buy more milk while you were at the store? Well, all I can say is just be thankful I didn’t or else I wouldn’t have created this delicious breakfast treat this morning. Instead, I would’ve done the usual morning ritual: a heaping bowl of cereal and a very large glass of orange juice.

These Bacon and Egg Cups are easy to put together and take less than 30 minutes to bake. They are perfect to serve for breakfast or brunch. Since they include bread, they are a complete bacon and egg dish but in a very cute and tidy proportion. What’s not to love?

Bacon and Egg Cups

Ingredients:

• 1 slice of bread per muffin cup
  • 2 slices of bacon per muffin cup
  • 1 egg per muffin cup
  • 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese per muffin cup (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Use a cookie cutter to cut circles out of each piece of bread.
  3. Grease a muffin tin and press circles of bread in the muffin cups. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until bread is slightly toasted. Remove from the oven.
  4. Cook bacon in a skillet until halfway cooked (approximately 3-4 minutes).
  5. Place 2 slices of bacon on top of the pieces of bread to form a cup (the bacon should cover the bread and the sides of each cup).
  6. Crack an egg into each muffin cup (on top of the bacon). It helps to discard a little bit of the egg white after cracking and before pouring into the muffin cup.
  7. Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the eggs are set.
  8. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over each egg and continue to bake until cheese is melted (this step is optional).
  9. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

What is your favorite type of breakfast?

32 Comments

• Reply Jessica @ How Sweet August 19, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I love cereal too, but I think you have me sold on these bacon and egg cups. I mean, I never pass up bacon.

• Reply Tracy August 19, 2010 at 3:51 pm

How cute! I am totally loving these!

• Reply Barbara | VinoLuciStyle August 19, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Love how it was not planned and yet you came up with something so cute and I am sure tasty.

But mostly…I have the same plates I think. Small world, huh?

• Reply CrystalsCozyKitchen August 19, 2010 at 6:23 pm

These are such a great idea! I am also a cereal fan but hubby – not so much. I'll have to try these with him!

• Reply Amelia PS August 19, 2010 at 7:29 pm

how adorable, perfect for a Sunday brunch

• Reply Tickled Red August 19, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Those are absolutely adorable :)

• Reply Shirley @ Kokken69 August 20, 2010 at 12:24 am

Jen, your lovely photos at TS led me to your blog. Compliments to your beautiful blog! I couldn't stop staring at your photos! This bacon cup looks really mouthwatering! I have seen this on TS quite a few times but you've probably provided the final nudge to make me decide to try this soon!

• Reply Wei's August 20, 2010 at 5:25 am

Love the idea! Will try to do it at home :)

• Reply A. Rizzi August 20, 2010 at 9:52 am

kinda like a mini sri lankan hopper – U S of A style. mmm..nice shot and nice food.

• Reply HealthnutFoodie August 20, 2010 at 3:27 pm

This looks like a great kid-friendly breakfast! I am all about any complete meal that they can feed themselves and hold in their hand… Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Jenny August 20, 2010 at 3:57 pm

So fun, I did these too. Aren't they the cutest?!!

• Reply Michelle August 20, 2010 at 4:23 pm

If a recipe could be cute, this one is it! Gorgeous photos!

• Reply Susan August 20, 2010 at 7:55 pm

My usual breakfast is blueberries with a dab of yogurt and granola…but on the weekend…I am going to try your very clever bacon cups. Thank you for such a great idea!

• Reply oneordinaryday August 20, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Love the photo. I made these a while ago too and the presentation just rocked. They look great!

• Reply Joudie's Mood Food August 21, 2010 at 10:24 am

Who wants cereal when you can have your perfect egg, bacon, muffin. Just Amazing. I love this idea and it looks gorgeous! Great post!

• Reply Anonymous August 22, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Just made these for my family…they tend to dislike the sweet things i make because they prefer savory, but these were a success!

• Reply Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker August 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm

LOVE these! I love anything with bacon and cheese… add carbs and I'm sold!

• Reply Cookin' Canuck August 26, 2010 at 3:03 am

This is brilliant! Bacon and eggs are such comforting breakfast treats and this makes them even more fun to eat.

• Reply grace August 27, 2010 at 7:35 pm

This is such a wonderful idea! Nothing like a breakfast (or dinner..) of bacon and eggs!

• Reply Idle Wife September 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I loved these! They were so easy and so delicious! I just have to keep a closer eye on them next time I make them. The eggs were a little too cooked for our tastes. Runny would have been soo much better! Thanks for the idea!

• Reply sosocyrille October 5, 2010 at 9:59 pm

For step 7, what should the temperature of the oven be? I'm pretty sure the food would be burnt after 18-20 minutes in a 375 degree oven.

• Reply Anonymous January 5, 2011 at 6:00 am

http://picky-palate.com/2010/05/06/bacon-and-cheese-egg-mcmuffin-cups/ Here is another twist of this recipe from a site I visit.

• Reply Miss C July 27, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I have made these a few times but I vary them a little. I scramble the eggs and add veggies before pouring into the cups and baking. I have done it with tomatoes and will be trying spinach soon. Like little mini omelette bites!

• Reply Jane December 18, 2011 at 7:51 pm

How do you get these out of the muffin tin without messing them up?

Jane

• Reply Jane December 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm

How do you get these out of the muffin tin without messing them up?

Jane

• Reply Anonymous December 24, 2011 at 10:33 am

They look great and I can see how people would love them. However I think they are a little fiddly for me and a lot of open and shutting of the oven adding stuff.

• Reply Anonymous February 5, 2012 at 1:26 am

THIS IS RACIST

• Reply Sharon September 8, 2012 at 3:46 pm

These are so easy my 9 year old grand daughter made them, she has been cooking since she would sit up straight with lots of supervision. she would like to be a baker and now that she reads really well she is making every thing.

• Reply Michelle L January 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm

What an amazing idea. Super easy and saves so much time and cleaning. I made these this morning. They were perfect and very filling. My family loved them. Totally making these again. Thanks so much!

Happy New Year!! <3

• Reply Anonymous April 3, 2013 at 2:16 am

Thank you too much! I was happily surfing when I came across this. Now my oven is preheating and I will be having breakfast @ 9:30 p.m Nums!

• Reply Anonymous August 5, 2013 at 2:05 am

I love any thing with eggs and this looks great. We will be trying this at our house and I can't wait to try it on some of our friends.

• Reply Anonymous April 3, 2014 at 8:21 pm

I have been making these same bacon and eggs in a muffin tin easy to-go breakfasts for about 9 years now… They are great for rushed mornings, great for early-start road trips, super handy for camping trips, great for low carbon diets, but also great for leisurely brunches.