For Christmas, my Mom, the creative lady that she is, put together a bunch of "recipes in a jar" and handed them out to family and friends. I was so excited when my box of goodies arrived. It was filled with jars full of ingredients to make soups, cookies and best of all...cornbread!
On Memorial Day I was invited to a fantastic BBQ down the street. I knew that grilled meats were going to be served so I decided to prepare the cornbread in a jar that my Mom gave me. By adding just a few extra ingredients, this cornbread was so easy to prepare and the end result was, as cornbread usually is, absolutely delicious.
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees; grease 8-inch square pan, 8-inch cast iron skillet or cast iron cornbread mold.
- Mix corn meal, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Add egg, milk and shortening and beat until smooth. Be sure not to overbeat.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
*Recipe for Cornbread Mix in a Jar adapted from Organized Christmas