There's something to be said for cooking. The more simple the recipe, the more relaxing it can be. The art of preparing a meal doesn't have to be complicated. It's not the number of ingredients that count but the end result, correct? I can tell you that after a long day at the office, the sound of a knife swiftly chopping through a stack of vegetables does wonders for this gal's psyche.
This salad, loosely based on one from Giada de Laurentiis, is not only healthy but great for getting out some "post work" aggression. The meatiness of the mushrooms can make this perfect for an entree salad. The honey with the Meyer lemons makes a vinaigrette that can work with a number of salads. However, when you are chopping those veggies, promise me one thing -- watch those fingers.
Mushroom Salad with Meyer Lemon Honey Vinaigrette
For the salad
- 1 lb. of baby bella mushrooms
- 1 large red onion
- 5 stalks celery
- Asiago cheese
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Italian Parsley, minced
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp towel. Stem the mushrooms and slice thinly. Layer into a large bowl (glass is nice as you can see the layers of this salad).
- Slice the celery into half moons; layer on top of the mushrooms.
- Slice the onion thinly, scatter over the celery in another layer.
- Using a vegetable peeler, layers shards of asiago in a thin layer over the red onion.
- In mixing the vinaigrette, zest the Meyer lemon and juice into a small bowl. Add the honey and stir with a small whisk. Slowly stream in the olive oil until the vinaigrette comes together. Add a small amount of Italian Parsley and mix.
- Drizzle the vinagrette over the top of the salad and serve.