Out of the many treats that I made, one of my favorites happened to be these tasty lemon muffins. I had set out to make lemon quick bread but midway through preparing it I realized that I wanted muffins instead…decisive I am not.
If you’re craving a lemony treat, then you are going to love these muffins. Plus, they are so cute and petite…and the glaze adds a great, sugar-filled crunch!
For the muffins:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until well-blended (2 to 3 minutes). Add the eggs (one at a time), beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, along with the milk and lemon zest. Beat until blended.
- Pour the batter into a greased muffin pan, filling 3/4 full (if you don’t want to grease the pan, then use paper muffin cups).
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Prepare the glaze by stirring together the sugar and lemon juice. The sugar might not dissolve completely but it’s better that way because the muffins will have a sugar-filled crunch.
- Remove the muffins and transfer to a wire rack. Using a fork, poke holes at the top of every muffin and drizzle the glaze over each muffin.