This weekend my brother and his girlfriend are visiting from the mitten (aka Michigan). Their flight arrived last evening and as a warm welcome I planned on preparing a home cooked meal for them…but there was one problem: His girlfriend is gluten-allergic.
As soon as the idea of cooking dinner for them popped into my head, I immediately began scouring the Internet for gluten-free main dishes. That’s when I came across a wonderful blog, Karina’s Kitchen.
For those of you who are gluten-allergic or who need to find a great gluten-free recipe, make sure you stop by this site. This blog is filled with top-notch recipes that are sure to knock the socks off of your guests. She has everything from appetizers, to soups, to main dishes, to desserts…all at your fingertips.
While I was perusing her blog, I stumbled on a chicken and pepper recipe that immediately made my mouth water (the picture helped too). The best part about the whole recipe? Shopping for the ingredients with my husband. I wish someone videotaped us at the grocery store…we would pick up a product, scan the ingredients, see that it had flour in it, set it down and move on to the next. I honestly feel terrible for people who are gluten-allergic…it seems as though their food choices are so limited!
We were finally able to find all of the necessary ingredients and, once prepared, the dish was to die for. It looks amazing and the chicken and peppers are jam-packed with flavor.
Easy Chicken and Balsamic Peppers
- 4 large ripe bell peppers: red, green, orange, yellow (cored and sliced thin)
- 1 large sweet onion, slice thin
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 6 fresh cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss the pepper and onion slices in a large bowl. In a large measuring cup, fork-stir your sauce using: balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire, olive oil, chicken broth, chopped garlic and herbs. Pour the sauce over the sliced peppers and onions and toss well to coat.
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the balsamic pepper mixture over the chicken and arrange them evenly. Use every last drop of sauce.
- Loosely cover the pan with a piece of aluminum foil and place in the center of the pre-heated oven. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour (depending on the thickness of the chicken).
I served this dish with a side of garlic, red skin mashed potatoes and green beans. Everyone joined the clean plate club and we all went to bed with happy tummies!
*Recipe and photo from Karina’s Kitchen. Thank you for an amazing dish!
This looks incredible! I found it on pinterest.com!
Adding to my "To Make Recipes", thank you!
Random Memories says
Trying this tonight…found it on Pinterest too! I didn't have Balsamic Vinegar so I used apple cider. Hope it will be yummy!
Found this on Pinterest. Made it tonight. SUPER yummy! The family enjoyed it!