It’s almost summer which means its that time of year to lather on the sunscreen and spend as much time as you can in the great outdoors. My husband, two-year-old son, and I love going for walks, playing with sidewalk chalk, running through the sprinkler, going to the park, eating ice cream, playing catch, gardening … pretty much anything that we can do outside as a family.
Last year, we added a fire pit to our backyard. Even though summer days can be quite toasty, we love spending the evenings around the fire pit as we roast marshmallows, sip on tasty beverages, and chat the night away. There’s just something about spending time around a fire pit that screams summertime, relaxation, and memories.
This year, we’ve already spent time around our fire pit with family and friends. It was so fun breaking in the fire pit while my parents and in-laws were over on Easter. The weather was crisp so a fire was the perfect way to spend the evening after Easter dinner was enjoyed and the dishes were washed.
On Memorial Day weekend, my husband and I really wanted to have a fire with our son. While grocery shopping for our barbecue essentials, I made sure to add marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate to our cart. I also picked up a package of long sticks to help keep our son far away from the fire.
Between gardening, playing outside, barbecuing, and swimming in our neighbor’s pool, time slipped away from us and we never got around to sitting around the fire pit.
Since I had the ingredients in the pantry that were calling my name over the past few days, I decided to make our son a special treat (aka “pecial tweat” according to our two-year-old) yesterday. Since he absolutely loves blueberries, I roasted a marshmallow on the stovetop, poured a few blueberries on top, and smooshed everything between two piece of graham cracker.
His eyes lit up with delight. It’s always so fun introducing him to so many fun traditions.
- 1 graham cracker (split in half)
- 3 small squares of chocolate
- 1 marshmallow
- A few blueberries (washed)
- Prepare the graham cracker by splitting it in half.
- Place the three squares of chocolate on the bottom half of the graham cracker side.
- Roast the marshmallow either over your stovetop or over a fire.
- Remove the marshmallow from the stick and place on top of the chocolate squares.
- Place a few blueberries on top of the roasted marshmallow.
- Cover the blueberries and marshmallow with the other half of the graham cracker.
- Squeeze together the two graham cracker sides to gently smoosh the marshmallow.
What’s your favorite summer treat?
Leave a Reply