Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Tabasco. However, all thoughts and opinions were my own.
When it comes to challenges, sign me up. Perhaps it’s the competitive nature in me. Maybe it’s the drive to always challenge myself in order to improve my skills. Whatever it is, I’m not a fan of turning down challenges, especially when they involve cooking. Why? I feel as though challenges make people better by helping them to open their eyes, improve their skills, and grow as a person.
So, when Tabasco reached out to me with a cooking challenge, I jumped all over the chance. What was the challenge? Create five recipes only using 10 ingredients and publish those recipes over the course of five days. Below is the ingredient list:
- Tabasco (this must be included in every recipe)
- Chicken (any type)
- Onion (any type)
- Multi or Whole Grain (rice: long or short grain, brown, red, or wild; couscous; quinoa; faro; barley; etc.)
- Canned Beans (any type)
- Tomatoes (canned or fresh, whole or diced)
- Leafy Greens (any type)
- Bacon (any type)
- Cheese (Grating or Melting: Parmesan, Cheddar, Guyere, Mozzarella, Asiago, etc.)
- Dried Fruit (any type)
- Note: Oil, salt, and pepper were free ingredients
As you can see, with just a few ingredients, this whole project was quite a challenge. However, I welcomed it with open arms. My cooking mentality is all about using only a few ingredients to prepare recipes because let’s face it, food doesn’t have to be complicated to taste good. Between the small amount of ingredients, the ease of preparation, and the budget-friendly theme, I felt as though this challenge was a match made in heaven.
After creating this salad recipe, I couldn’t wait to prepare the other four dishes. So, what’s on the Tabasco-inspired menu over the next few days? You’ll have to wait and see. I hate ruining surprises. Be sure to visit my posts over the next few days to grab simple recipes that only require a few simple ingredients and only a small amount of prep and cook time.
- All Day I Dream About Food
- Eat Good 4 Life
- Handle the Heat
- Healthy Delicious
- Modern Day Moms
- Shockingly Delicious
- Table For Two
- What’s Gaby Cooking
- 1 cup pearled couscous, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco Original Red sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups trimmed arugula or 2 cups spring mix salad
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Cook the couscous according to the directions on the package.
- Make the dressing by combining the Tabasco sauce, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and toss to incorporate.
What is your favorite side salad?