The days leading up to Easter this year involved a little bit of spring cleaning, setting the Easter dinner table, prepping for Easter dinner, and shredding pound after pound of carrots. When it comes to Easter, one of my favorite desserts has the chance to shine: Carrot Cake…with cream cheese frosting, of course.
This year, I decided to go a bit overboard with carrot-filled desserts. I made everything from carrot cake cupcakes to this carrot cake. That’s right, two different types of carrot desserts in two days. Did I mention that I went overboard?
The best part about finding a tried and true recipe is that you can take that recipe and manipulate it into many different forms. Do you have the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe? Well, pour that recipe into a pan and you’ll have blondies. Take your favorite muffin recipe, pour it into a bread pan, and you’ll have quick bread. Do you love a cupcake recipe? Pour it into cake pans and you’ll have a cake.
Take for example this carrot cake recipe. I stumbled across the perfect Carrot Cake Cupcake recipe and the next day I made the batter again, poured it into two springform pans, baked the cakes, slathered on the cream cheese frosting, sprinkled the cakes with chopped nuts, and voila…I had the perfect dessert to serve on Easter Sunday.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded carrots (5 medium carrots)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 cup golden raisins
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F two 8-inch springform pans with nonstick spray.
- Beat together the sugar, oil, and eggs in a mixer on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, and salt on low speed for 1 minute.
- Stir in carrots, walnuts, and raisins.
- Pour half of the batter into one pan and the other half into the other pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the springform pans and cool on a rack.
- Take one of the cakes and slice the top off of it to flatten the top. Spoon 1/2 cup of cream cheese frosting over the top of the flattened cake. Top the frosted cake with the other cake. Spoon 1/2 cups of cream cheese frosting over the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with chopped walnuts.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
What is your favorite type of cake?