Roasted Potatoes

Garlic Roasted Potatoes with Cilantro and Lemon

Roasted Potatoes

If you can’t tell from my pale skin, dark hair, green eyes, and freckles, I have a little…alright, maybe a lot of Irish in me. Not only do I look a bit on the Irish side, I also act like I’m a true Irish(wo)man. I enjoy a good drink and I love the stereotypical meat and potato dishes. To me, those are truly comfort foods that I never grow tired of enjoying.

Growing up, it seemed like we were always eating some type of hearty meat and potato dish and, to this day, I still love these dishes. Throw a steak on the grill, pair it with a nice salad, and pile on the potatoes and I’ll be one happy girl. In my opinion, that is one of the most simple yet delicious meals that can be filled with so much flavor. Take for example, the lovely potato. This little gem can be smothered in butter, sprinkled with herbs, covered in spices, topped with cheese, or paired with salsa…it is so versatile and, with so many options, one can never grow tired of this wonderful vegetable.

One of my favorite types of potatoes is the red skin potato. I love buying packages of the small red skin potatoes at the grocery store and experimenting with spices and herbs to kick the entire flavor up a notch or two. On a mission to fall in love with Cilantro, I decided to pick up this herb that I have never really enjoyed. Through the years, I’ve been putting it in various dishes but no matter what I try, I can always taste this overwhelming herb and it has always turned me off to the entire dish. I know…it’s quite depressing.

Since I have such a strong love for potatoes, I decided to see what I could come up with by combining the two…and guess what. It is because of this dish that I can now say that I love Cilantro. That’s right, Cilantro and I are well on our way to becoming friends. These potatoes are covered in garlic-infused extra virgin olive oil, cilantro, lemon, salt and pepper. I may or may not have eaten the entire plate of potatoes pictured while writing this post…don’t judge.

Garlic Roasted Potatoes with Cilantro and Lemon

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds small red skin potatoes, quartered
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees and prepare baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil coated in cooking spray.
  2. Combine garlic and olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl.
  3. Place quartered potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle garlic oil over them. Toss to coat the potatoes.
  4. Arrange potatoes on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown; toss halfway through cook time. Remove from oven and place into serving dish.
  6. Combine reserved garlic, Cilantro, and lemon rind. Sprinkle mixture evenly over potatoes. Season with salt and pepper (to taste).

* Recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light

What is your favorite way to enjoy potatoes?

16 Comments

• Reply Barbara | VinoLuciStyle April 7, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I just made some garlic and rosemary with lemon roasted potatoes using those adorable little fingerling potatoes but now I want these too. I have some Irish blood too…I could eat potatoes like this three meals a day!

• Reply RecipeGirl April 8, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Mmmmm- love simply roasted potatoes w/ lemon and herbs. Have never tried them w/ cilantro though!

• Reply Jenny April 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm

This looks like the perfect potato recipe! Gorgeous too!

• Reply Maria April 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Love the flavors!

• Reply doughmesstic April 8, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Wow. Love the flavor combination. Can't wait to try it!

• Reply Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction April 9, 2011 at 1:48 am

I just love cilantro… Especially this time of year. I absolutely must give these potatoes a try!

• Reply A Feast for the Eyes April 9, 2011 at 4:50 pm

What is my favorite way to enjoy potatoes? In my mouth! I love them, any way. I never thought to use cilantro. I'd be tempted to use lime juice, to bring in a little Mexican flavor. Delicious post!

• Reply Souffle Bombay (Colleen) April 10, 2011 at 4:14 pm

From one Irish gal to another I have to say I didn't fully appreciate the potato until I spoent a Summer in Ireland as a teenager – I think I ate a potato every way possible lol!
    I love them, I swear a great potato salad at a BBQ can't be beat! I have never thrown lemon over any version of my roasted potatoes – love this!

• Reply Tracy April 11, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I love roasting potatoes but I've never tried them with cilantro! Great idea!

• Reply Cookin' Canuck April 13, 2011 at 3:11 am

Red-skinned potatoes are one of my favorites, too. I love the flavors in this recipe.

• Reply imitation iwc watches April 13, 2011 at 7:55 am

it is hard to imagine Potatoes can make so delicious dinner.

• Reply Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker April 17, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Gorgeous potatoes! I love roasted potatoes more than almost anything, and these look delicious!

• Reply alcs613 April 20, 2011 at 5:06 am

I made these potatoes tonight. They were sooo good! I will definitely make them again. Thanks :)

• Reply Bahar@www.baharsbitchyblog.com April 26, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I have to tell you, my husband says these are the very best things I have ever made…and I cook a lot of good stuff. He has begged me for them ever since I made them last week, so thank you for this recipe. It will be a staple in our menu!!!

• Reply Anonymous March 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Quick question, how much potatoes would this recipe yield?

• Reply Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 3:59 am