{Tips & Tricks} Valentine’s Day Recipe Roundup

Strawberry Turnovers

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and you know what that means…flowers and chocolates galore…for everyone else, that is. You see, my husband and I don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day. I’ve never been a fan of the color pink, I’m not huge into hearts and even though I’m a hugger, I’m not into lovey-doveyness. Let’s just say that I don’t even like to hold hands. I know, I’m weird like that but it’s cool.

When my husband (boyfriend at the time), found out that I wasn’t into Valentine’s Day, I believe he jumped for joy. When he asked me what I wanted to do while all of the other couples were out on romantic dinners and buying flowers and candy, I simply replied, “Do you know what I would love? A bucket of fried chicken from KFC with some mashed potatoes.” I think he nearly fainted…and then after he left my house he talked to his friends about the situation he had on his hands.

He had no idea whether I was doing the typical girl thing or if I was actually being sincere. So what did he do? He picked up a bucket of fried chicken from KFC (have I told you how much I love KFC…insane, I know) and brought it over to my college house. When he arrived, I was in my comfies all set to sit down to some good eats and a movie. Little did I know that he had reservations to a big fancy schmancy restaurant on standby just in case I played the girl card. What a good guy.

To this day, we have always celebrated Valentine’s Day with a bucket of KFC fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy…and there we have it. I guess we do celebrate Valentine’s Day. Even though we don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day like most other couples (I can’t wait for KFC this year), I thought I would put together a list of delicious sweet treats that are guaranteed to win over the heart of your Valentine. You never know, I might just bake heart-shaped cookies this year…

Cakes & Cupcakes

Other Treats

• Reply breadandputter February 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Nice roundup! My husband and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day in the traditional way either. Sometimes we give each other cards if we remember. And sometimes I use it as an excuse to make a good dessert, but I do that any day of the week. ;-)

• Reply Jenny February 11, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Great round up Jenn! Love all of this sweet talk!

• Reply Flavia February 11, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Hi Jen,

Thank you so much for including my Red Velvet cake blog post as part of your recipe roundup!

• Reply Paula - bell'alimento February 11, 2011 at 3:48 pm

What a fantastic group of delectable desserts! Thanks so much for including my Chocolate Nutella Molten Lava Cakes!

• Reply Christina February 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Haha, love your story. I LOVED KFC when I was a kid. Couldn't get enough of that fried chicken!

I love the idea of making strawberry turnovers- so good!

• Reply Tracy February 11, 2011 at 4:47 pm

We don't celebrate Valentine's Day either! Whew, I thought we were the only ones. ;-) Thanks for including my cake!!

• Reply Maria February 11, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Great roundup! Happy Valentine's Day!

• Reply RecipeGirl February 11, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Delicious round-up! Thanks for featuring some of my recipes!

• Reply Anonymous February 11, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I love this story, Jen. Joe told me this last year on Valentine's day and so we came up with our own tradition. We order Chinese food and watch a movie. :) Happy V-Day to you and Chris! You two are so cute! – Lauren

• Reply CrystalsCozyKitchen February 11, 2011 at 9:46 pm

What a delicious round up of goodies! I typically make my husband a steak dinner on Valentine's day, but I told him to NEVER buy me flowers on that day. (Mainly because in college I knew someone who worked at a flower distribution center and they said most of the flowers at this time of the year die because there is such a high demand they are not as selective.)
    I LOVE your story!

• Reply Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. February 11, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Great list. Thanks for including me

• Reply Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm

A nice evening in with some comfort food sounds like the perfect way to celebrate. Enjoy your KFC!

• Reply Eliana February 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Thsi is one spectacular round-up and is making me really really hungry right now.

• Reply Sophistimom February 14, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Great roundup. And what a cute story about the Kentucky Fried Chicken.

• Reply Cookin' Canuck February 15, 2011 at 4:53 am

What a cute story! This is a wonderful Valentine's Day round-up.