When I first started working from home, I setup a corner of our guest bedroom in our D.C. rowhouse with a corner desk, lamp, chair, and organizers. The worked out well until we had guests. Then, we had a baby and the guest bedroom upstairs turned into the baby’s nursery. I was left to try and find another space in our home where I could be productive. Rowhouse living made that a bit on the difficult side. When we put our rowhouse on the market, one of my wishlist items for our new home was an office. Making sure I had a space where I could escape to in order to get work done was what I needed.
In our new home, I’ve been working on making my workspace comfortable and inspiring. My husband gave me a beautiful desk that was made from Michigan barnwood. I have a collage of family photos on the wall to my left. A succulent is on my desktop. Behind is one of my favorite art pieces. To my right is an old barn window that we found while antiquing on my birthday this past year. The chair is a recent find that is comfortable and matches the decor perfectly.
Even though we have lived in our home for a little over a year, I’ve been taking my time piecing together my office because I want all of the pieces to be exactly what I have in mind.
Throughout this process, I’ve learned that there are some must-have items for a workspace. So, today I’m sharing some of my favorite pieces.
Must-Have Items for Your Workspace
- Leaning Bookcase – You can never have enough storage furniture pieces. I love the look of a leaning bookcase.
- Tufted Chair – You’ll be sitting in your desk chair for quite a while. You want this piece to be sturdy and comfortable.
- Lazy Susan Wall Clock – I absolutely have to have a clock in every room of the house. It’s just my thing.
- Windowpane Picture Frame – I’m obsessed with windowpane photo frames. The look adds the perfect amount of rustic charm to a space.
- Wooden Wall Shelf – Wall storage is a must. It looks pretty and is efficient.
- Wood Wall Chalkboard – I’m all about to do lists. Whether you have a notebook, white board, or chalkboard, having a spot to write out your daily tasks is always helpful.
- Coffee Notebook – As I just mentioned, to do lists are a must.
- Desk Caddy – With pens, pencils, and scissors, it’s always nice to have a desk caddy to keep everything organized.
- Rustic Desk – Be sure to pick out a desk that suits your needs and style.
- Farmhouse Lamp – Lighting is key when it comes to your workspace. Nothing to bright. Nothing too dim. You need to find something that is just right. I love lamps that have multiple settings so that you can manage the amount of artificial light and natural light.
- Blanket – I’m always chilly in my office. I love to put a blanket over my legs to keep cozy.
- Coffee Mug – But first, coffee. Enough said.
- Rug – Rugs help warm up a space. Whether you have hardwood floor or carpet, place a rug under your desk and the whole dynamic of your workspace will change for the better.
- Curtains – I have sheet curtains in my office to let in natural light.
- Wire Baskets – Baskets help keep things organized. I have so many baskets throughout our home.
- Mason Jar – Mason jars are great for paperclips, rubberbands, pencils, thumbtacks, etc.
What’s your must-have workspace item?
Featured photo by Kaboompics.com.
Leave a Reply