Leading up to our wedding, my husband took a look through our registry and could not understand why I had so many different types of cooking gadgets, kitchen tools, and pieces of china. He couldn’t wrap his head around the idea of us ever using anything that was listed on the registry.
Me, on the other hand…I could not wait to start playing with all of my fun, new, and exciting pieces of kitchen equipment. After creating our registry, my mind started racing at all of the endless possibilities of unique dinners that I could create using my new tools and different ways I could serve these dishes using the platters and china.
When we moved into our house shortly after our wedding, I began unpacking all of the wonderful gifts that we received from our wedding and designated a massive amount of cupboard space to the new kitchen gadgets. Throughout the years, I’ve experimented with the blenders, mixers, cookers, and griddlers but one of my favorite gadgets is the waffle iron.
Growing up, I always loved eating waffles and would order them whenever my family went out for breakfast. My favorite was a Belgian waffle drizzled with strawberry syrup and topped with whipped cream. To this day, I enjoy playing with the waffle iron because it not only reminds me of those great breakfast memories but also because the dishes that I can create are always so cozy and comforting.
Speaking of cozy and comforting, did you know that you can bake cookies on your waffle iron? Talk about amazing. To combine my love for waffles and chocolate chip cookies was definitely an “aha” moment for me and I cannot wait to make this recipe again. Preparing the batter takes less than five minutes and the bake time is less than two minutes. The result are these sinfully delicious and soft cookies that, when paired with milk, are heavenly.
Chocolate Chip Waffle Cookies
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Confectioner’s sugar (optional)
- Preheat the waffle iron to medium heat and grease the iron.
- Combine the sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually add the flour, salt, and baking soda to the mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop batter onto the waffle iron in tablespoonfuls (I like to use an ice cream scooper).
- Bake for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove cookies from the iron using tongs and place on a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioner’s sugar (optional).
What is your favorite cooking gadget?
*Recipe adapted from the Domesticated Diva