Since my husband is such a chocoholic, I'm always trying to come up with ways to satisfy his chocolate cravings. Me, on the other hand, I'm not that big of a fan of chocolate. At times, chocolate seems a bit too rich for me and I can only stand a few bites before I push the dessert to the side. We have such different tastes when it comes to desserts. He loves double mocha fudge ice cream and I like vanilla or strawberry ice cream. He loves chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and I like cheesecake with strawberries drizzled over the top. He loves double fudge brownies and I like...well, apple pie a la mode, if that even counts in comparison.
Due to his love of brownies, I came up with a recipe that is heavy on chocolate but light enough for me to enjoy with him. By using Hershey's syrup, the batter turns out nice and fluffy and instead of being dense like normal brownies, this brownie recipe is more like chocolate cake. I'm telling you, it's the best of both worlds.
Recently, I had some extra cream cheese in the refrigerator so I whipped up cream cheese filling and added it to this dessert. I wanted the brownies to have a cream cheese filling that was dense; however, this cream cheese filling turned out to be much like the consistency of the brownie batter. Instead of starting all over with the ingredients, I decided to make...well, cream cheese filling out of cream cheese. After swirling the two batters together, I ended up with these lovely and decadent Cream Cheese Brownies that satisfied his sweet tooth...and mine too.
Cream Cheese Swirled Brownies
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 can Hershey's Syrup
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a muffin tin by either greasing over filling with muffin cups.
- Mix together one cup sugar, butter, syrup, eggs, and flour until smooth.
- Mix together the cream cheese, egg, 1/2 cup sugar, and extract.
- Pour brownie batter into muffin cups filling halfway.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over brownie mixture in muffin cups (1-2 teaspoons).
- Pour 1 teaspoon of brownie batter over the cream cheese mixture.
- Take a toothpick and swirl the mixtures together in each muffin cup.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Are you a chocoholic? What's your favorite chocolate-filled treat?