Mixed Berry ParfaitsTuesday, May 04, 2010
I don't know about you but spring really hit me this past weekend. The weather was gorgeous and the flowers were definitely showing their pretty faces. However, it wasn't until I entered the grocery store that spring hit me like a brick wall...and I enjoyed every minute of it.
I found myself suddenly surrounded by gorgeous asparagus, delicious rhubarb and massive berries. With no time to spare, I immediately started grabbing items left and right as I created recipes in my head.
With so many berries on hand, I thought I would share with you one of my absolute favorite treats during the spring and summer months. These mixed berry parfaits combine plump berries with comforting pudding and refreshing gelatin. With the hot summer days quickly approaching, these can serve as a light dessert that provides many of the wonderful tastes of the season.
Mixed Berry Parfaits
- 1 box (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered (save a few for decoration)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries (save a few for decoration)
- 3 cups prepared vanilla pudding
- Divide the berries evenly among four 8-ounce glasses
- Prepare gelatin according to the direction on the box. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and then pour gelatin over top of the berries. Make sure the gelatin surrounds the berries so that they become suspended in the gelatin. Place the glasses in the refrigerator for three hours or until set (these parfaits can be made up to two days ahead of time at the end of this step -- just leave the glasses in the refrigerator until ready to serve and then perform step 3).
- Spoon the pudding on top of the gelatin and berries. Place a few strawberries and blackberries on top of the pudding for a little extra flare.