{Tips & Tricks} Making Homemade Whipped Cream

Whipped cream can be the perfect addition to any dessert. However, many people often make the mistake of buying whipped cream from a store because they think that it’s convenient since it’s ready-made. Is the store-bought kind really whipped cream, though? Hardly.

The store-bought “whipped cream” is packed with air and tends to liquefy faster than homemade whipped cream. Plus, unlike the store-bought kind, homemade whipped cream is extremely decadent with an amazing texture.

Making homemade whipped cream is easy and only requires a few ingredients and steps. By whipping it by hand or with an electric mixer, the fresh taste will keep you coming back for more (and never again turning to the store-bought…well, let’s just call it “stuff”). There’s nothing quite like the real thing!

Homemade Whipped Cream

• 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1-2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. Chill a stainless steel bowl, whisk (or beaters) and heavy cream in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. Be careful not to let the cream freeze.
  2. Pour one cup of heavy cream into the chilled bowl and beat until you see soft peaks. The soft peaks should stand up and not fold when the beaters or whisk are lifted.
  3. Add 1-2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract when soft peaks start to form.
  4. Beat until cream reaches desired consistency (do not over beat).

Additional tips for making homemade whipped cream:

• It is very important to place the stainless steel bowl, whisk (or beaters) and heavy cream in the freezer to allow them to chill. The colder the items are, the faster the cream will whip.
  • Vanilla is often used to flavor whipped cream but feel free to use any flavoring of your choice (i.e. extracts, liqueurs, powdered cocoa, etc.)
  • One cup of whipping cream usually makes about two cups of whipped cream.
  • Homemade whipped cream can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.

• Reply Tracy April 9, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I just made whipped cream yesterday. :-) Perfect tutorial!

• Reply Maggy April 9, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Homemade whipped cream makes anything 10X better! Thanks for the tips.

• Reply Michelle April 9, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Another great step-by-step!

• Reply Cookin' Canuck April 9, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Store-bought, in-the-tub whipped cream just doesn't cut it! I love making whipped cream and adding various flavors to it. Another great tutorial!

• Reply Holly Bone April 9, 2010 at 4:37 pm

You don't have a list of ingredients or quantities on here.

• Reply How To: Simplify April 9, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Holly Bone: I originally had the ingredients and quantities in the actual directions. I just added an ingredient list. I hope this helps!

• Reply Appetite for Conversation April 9, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Each time I make homemade whipped cream people are so impressed. So glad you're sharing how simple it is!

And I love your site ~ I'm linking now!

• Reply Fuji Mama April 9, 2010 at 7:38 pm

THANK YOU! It kills me that people buy whipped cream. First of all, like you wrote, it is so easy (as your post shows perfectly), and finally, eeeeew to storebought!

• Reply Maria April 9, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Perfect for strawberries this spring!

• Reply How To: Simplify April 13, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Appetite for Conversation: Homemade whipped cream is so simple and tastes so good. I'm so happy to hear that you make it. I'm even happier to hear that you love my site! You just made my day. Thank you!

Fuji Mama: You're welcome! I couldn't agree more!

Maria: I definitely agree! I love whipped cream on top of strawberries and pound cake. What a delicious treat!

• Reply Anonymous September 20, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Is whipped cream made this way actually thick enough to pipe onto a dessert and hold its shape?

• Reply Anonymous October 19, 2014 at 3:37 am

I think it is close but not quite. If you want a specific design, you add butter and make it 'icing.'