Growing up in an Irish family, we definitely ate a variety of meat and potato dishes. However, my favorite of all time had to be my Mom’s stew. It was always perfect to eat on chilly days because it filled us up and made us all warm and cozy.
Hearty Irish Beef Stew
- 2 1/2 pounds lean boneless beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, quartered
- 1 large jar mushrooms, drained
- 3 large ribs of celery cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 300 degrees
- Mix all ingredients in a medium roaster pan
- Cover and bake (stirring at least 3 times) for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Discard bay leaves before serving
And the only way to complete this dish is…you’ve guessed it…mashed potatoes!