With the hot summer months upon us, I have found myself buying container after container of fruit. Whether it be strawberries, blueberries or even apples, when it comes to summer I love to sit down with a big bowl of fruit and satisfy my sweet tooth.
The best future sister-in-law ever went berry picking the other day while I was out of town. She came home with an over abundance of raspberries and cherries. My husband had to stop by their house to drop something off and upon his return home, he showed up at the door with plastic containers full of sweet berries and cherries. My jaw dropped and I immediately began thinking of ways to use up these delicious treats.
Thoughts of syrups, tarts, scones, and muffins danced in my head…and the more ideas I came up with, the more I failed to realize that as I was brainstorming, I was also popping one raspberry after another into my mouth. By the end of the brainstorming session, I was fresh out of raspberries…and I even devoured a few cherries as well.
At that point, I was back to square one…until I looked at the kitchen table and saw apples that were begging to be enjoyed. Instead of cutting up a bunch of slices and serving with lunch, I decided to cut them into rings, throw them into the fryer, and see what I could come up with in terms of serving them as a dessert. These apple rings were love at first bite.
Next on my to do list? Finding where this u-pick berry patch is located. I need to get my hands on more of those delicious berries!
For the rings:
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large apples, peeled
- Canola oil for frying
- Cinnamon and sugar
For the icing:
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Whisk egg white until foamy. Whisk in the water and vanilla. Next, whisk in the flour and salt.
- Slice the apples into 1/2-inch thick slices. Using varying sized cutters, cut “rings” out of apple slices, discarding smallest circle containing core.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Dip apple rings into batter and then place into the oil. Allow the apples to fry in small batches and turn frequently. Remove from the oil when golden brown and place on a paper towel. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Transfer rings to a wire rack and place the wire rack on a baking sheet. Place in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the rings turn crispy.
- Drizzle the icing over the rings and serve warm. (To make the icing, simply combine all of the ingredients and stir until combined).
What is your favorite way to bake with apples?
* Recipe slightly adapted from Wikia.